Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fireboard meat thermometer..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fireboard meat thermometer..

I am looking at buying the freboard extreme BBQ edition. I need the grahing capabilities for the meat inspector while doing my sausage and hams and bacon.. I have the choice of checking temp every hour with a handheld and hand documenting it or finding a graphing thermometer then dropping the printout in her file so she can see it.. who here has a fireboard?? Would ya but it again or should I be looking in a different direction for a graphing thermometer..

I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. It's awesome!

Comment

• theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      What D55 said.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Since I don't have the operation you are running, I can't advise about your walk-in. However, I can say that the FireBoard is wonderful and accurate. Like Dewesq55 and others, I give it a thumbs up for temperature accuracy and graphing.

+2. Love mine.

Comment

Love my fireboard but you might want to have a look at the Thermoworks Thermadata series. These data loggers can connect with their free Thermadata Studio software and permanently log any number of probes around your facility. These probes and loggers have an NIST certificate that might be required by the inspector.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with this. The graphs from the Fireboard are fairly accurate but don’t have detailed axis info.

I was a kickstarter backer of Fireboard and added the drive system this year when I got my WSCG. If it were to break, I’d buy another without hesitation.

Comment

I’ve tried both thermo works data loggers and the fireboard. Both have issues with dropouts on occasion, usually related to connectivity local or to the remote servers . Not a big deal to backyard, but if you are required to log, then I don’t know if I would trust them.

You can export fireboard data if you need to, but I still occasionally get dropouts or lost data. In some cases it requires a device restart to recover and it’s fine for weeks. (I run powered and sometimes forget to turn it off.

Comment

You definitely need to look at something HACCP Certified.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
            Backroadmeats commented
            Editing a comment
            Surprisingly I am not required to have a HAACP plan even in place since I do no retail. My requirement are that I have a visual temp reading to verify the thermostat on my walk in coolers and freezer . The fireboard is way above what I need for documentation,. I am only required to check meat temps every hour then verify a finished product temp. They told me I could use a dial meat thermometer and document every hour.. I was surprised with the leniency..

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow! I'm a bit surprised at that leniency myself. Pretty much everything I did was retail (catering) so perhaps that's a difference...that and I worked in CA...which up until recently wouldn't allow true "home made" items to be sold.

Definitely buy it. Just used mine for the first and 5th time since getting it and it is beyond convenient, user friendly and accurate.

Comment

I have two FireBoard units and I love them. (I actually have a third on the way to me now) They are great to use for graphing and keeping cooking logs and notes.

Comment

• glitchy
              glitchy commented
              Editing a comment
              Curious, why do you desire three? I’ve run one to monitor 2 pits and four meats simultaneously. I’ve thought a little about a new one since it supports both probe types, but have held out so far.
              Last edited by glitchy; December 24, 2019, 09:59 AM.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              For one, I like to have two separate graphs, with its own notes, conditions, meats etc. I can also run fans on multiple units at once, that is really why I did it. It makes things easier, and I have plenty of probes to run everything, I don't need 6 in each unit. glitchy

I have two FireBoard systems. One that is built into my Yoder pellet smoker and a complete system for my other grills. It is excellent and the cloud based data logging has worked extremely well. They continue to upgrade and improve it. I have personally benchmarked it against Guru (own it) and ThermoWorks (son owns it). In my opinion the FB is in another league.

I have used FireBoard on the Yoder, a PK360, and a BGE. It has been flawless for me and allows me to share my cooks with others and maintains records and data. It is quite flexible in terms of documenting each run with notes. I understand they are working on the ability to include some photo records with the data logging.

Comment

I am a very happy Fireboard purchaser. WiFi range is great, the ability to adjust probe types and the fact it stores all my cooks - winner!

Comment

Thanks... It sounds like a definite yes.. I do appreciate the concerns raised but my regulation is pretty light.. the inspector actually asked me if I had a commercial or homemade smoker!! Damn near tipped over.

Comment

• glitchy
                  glitchy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hopefully that was expressed internally, you don’t want them to realize they're too lenient ;-) I’m sure you’ll love the Fireboard...if not Spinaker would probably buy it from you.
                  Last edited by glitchy; December 24, 2019, 09:58 AM.

I love my Fireboard so much that I recently bought a second one. Its extremely versatile & easy / straight forward to use.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here