Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which instant read thermometer should i purchase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which instant read thermometer should i purchase?

Hey guys, just wondering which instant read thermometer I should get. I've read the page on thermometers, but wanted to get the forums advice. Right now I am looking at the Thermopop or the DOT. The DOT is $10 more, but it also can be left in the meat meaning I can have three thermometers in my grill since I have the Maverick Et-733. Has anyone here used the DOT? I assume many of you have a thermopop. Thanks for any input/advise.

I have both the Themopen and the thermppp they both are great the only difference is the thermapen is faster.

Comment

I have the Thermopop which covers my needs, though the next time I buy an instant read I will splurge a bit I think and get the Thermapen. The DOT looks cool and has good reviews, and the extra probe is always handy, but keeping up with 2 devices might be annoying.

Comment

Thermapen hands down if you have the dough. Thermapop if you are on a budget. Both work well. I find the Thermapen to be most accurate and versatile. For me it has made my cooking life so much easier. The Thermapop it seems I have to interpret a little. . I have never used the DOT.
        IMHO, Troy

Comment

Thermapen. It is the holy grail of instant read thermometers.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses guys, but say I didn't want to spent more than $40 right now. I'm sure I will get a thermopen soon though.

Comment

I got the Thermapop on sale for $20

Comment

Originally posted by reecesavage View Post
                Thanks for all the responses guys, but say I didn't want to spent more than $40 right now. I'm sure I will get a thermopen soon though.
                Honestly - if I only had $40 ... I would save up for the Thermapen. Hands-down the best on the market.

Comment

Thermopop is almost as good as the thermapen, just slower. But the Dot can be used as a leave-in so it is more versatile.

Comment

Meathead am I going to see an issue with five seconds, versus 4 and 2? I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I'm new at this thing.

Comment

• Breadhead
                      Breadhead commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You've got to wait 2 seconds longer... Save the cash! A corvette will do if you can't afford a Ferrari.

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Lol Breadhead, my sentiments as well.

For slow cooks like pork butt it won't matter that much, but for faster cooks like burgers, steaks, and chicken wings that extra speed really helps you take several quick temps in different spots.

Comment

Pit Boss has great advice. Personally I am sticking with my ThermoPop, I love it when my Mavericks just aren't enough. For the price of the ThermaPen I could've bought a ThermoPop and another Maverick, so that's what I did. It's all in how you visualize how & what you'll cook.

Comment

ThermoPop has been great for me. I'm eyeing the ThermoWorks Mini as a back up.

Comment

I like my ThermoPop and think it works very well. ThermoPen is on the list but until then the Pop does a very good job.

Comment

I've got all three and they all do their job well. I bought the ThermoPop first and was satisfied with it, but got the ThermaPen during one of the sales. I absolutely love it. It was great in the winter so I could temp something quickly and get the lid back down without losing too much heat.

I got the DOT for my GF to use indoors, as I've already got 2 Mavericks for outdoors. The DOT is nice since it has a magnet back to stick it on something nearby. I used it recently when I did a roast beef in the oven and it was spot on. But it's not an instant read per se, more of a leave in.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here