Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermoworks Thermapen Mk4 lifespan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermoworks Thermapen Mk4 lifespan?

I like Thermoworks, but have gone through a few of their leave-in stainless steel probes on the ThermaQ. Before I pull the trigger and get a Thermapen I was hoping some of you could answer how well does this thermapen hold up? Typically I bbq/grill at least once to twice a week. Thanks in advance...

I have two and haven't had any of them fail yet. My oldest is probably 7 years old in my newest is probably 4. Hard to say though, like with anything you could have a fault in a month or two. The good news is they honor their warranty very well.

Comment

I had one probe go bad on me earlier this year, but I had a backup. That original one lasted probably 3 or 4 years. I wouldn’t leave the probe in the meat if the meat was over a direct hot flame. I only use mine if it’s offset or indirect. That’s just me though.

As far as the MK4, mine has lasted years also. If that one ever went out, I’d immediately go buy another one. That thing is a necessity.

Comment

I’m still using my original Thermapen from 1873 and have countless other products from them.

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Dude. You look good for your age!

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I heard rumors that you were around sometime during the time they invented dirt !!

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah, 1873! Were you involved with defending our airports then?

Well this may be getting a bit off topic, but I used to be a big Thermoworks fan. I've got a Smoke, 2 Thermapens and and IR unit and all have worked flawlessly. They are well built and of good quality. That until I purchased a Signals. The thing is totally wack. WiFi works great sometimes, sometimes not at all. Bluetooth cuts out, even with my iPhone literally next to it. The graphs come and go. My last cook the temperatures on a steak went from 42* when I put them on, then shot up to 105* within about 7 minutes. Of course I checked them with my Thermapen and they were actually at 65* !!

OK so before you say, "call their customer service, they are very helpful", I did that. They told me to try this and that. I finally told the guy I was tired of looking for the boogie man and needed to send this back to them for repair/replacement. Guy says OK and sends me an email with a claims number to include with my return. Also wants to know my address for returns and wants to know who would be responsible for the repair costs?

I'm like, "What? You have me on record as a repeat customer, including my address and cc number. You also may need to clean your glasses off and look to see that this is a new unit with full warranty still in tact. Please send me a pre-printed mailing label and fix this thing." He returns that email with a somewhat snooty response that all I had to do was ask for the label (as if you now have to ask for the terms of a warranty). So off it went this week to diagnosis.

Sorry for the rant, the customer service department I'm used to with them and Fireboard has been sterling. And as to the Thermapens, they will last for years, I've had mine for 2 and 4 years and haven't ever even changed the batteries !!

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          I have the Smoke, and the Signals. I never used the internal probes over hot fire, only in the oven or KBQ smoker. One of the four internal probes I own died on me. Not horrible. My Thermapens have never crapped out.
          Like Troutman, I cannot get the Signals unit to connect with my phone for more than 5 minutes. This in spite of a Linksys Velops mesh wifi with full signal at our 'meat patio', and in spite of all other bluetooth signals working. That, I agree, is frustrating.

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          My signals signal is horrible. I have to look on the unit itself.

I have a few Thermapens - the oldest is around 4 years old - and I have yet to even change the batteries either. Highly recommend.

Comment

In my case the Thermopen lasted until it was time to change the battery. The battery compartment door was impossible to remove without damage. I just recently ordered two new ones and they have changed the battery compartment to prevent the trouble changing the battery. This has been my only problem with the product in several years of use.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            I had the same problem with a couple of my old Maverick ET 732s. The teeny tiny screws that hold the battery door on the outdoor transmitter were rusted and impossible to remove. Stripped 'em of course. Could've drilled 'em out but then I couldn't close the door again. Had to toss 'em. Battery doors are a weak point in some products for sure. Another being the BBQ Dragon which I love otherwise.

btw, Thermapen Classics are on sale for $59

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here