Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermoworks Smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermoworks Smoke

Recently purchased a Thermoworks Smoke dual-probe thermometer. I like it with one exception. Why are the controls on the transmitter unit and not on the receiver unit? This seems backwards. Controls should be on the receiver which will typically be close at hand where adjustments can be made without going to the cooker.
    Last edited by steve weston; November 3, 2019, 11:12 AM.

It's not unique to Thermoworks and I agree with your sentiment.

Comment

I’d imagine it’s to keep the receiver more compact, it’s just for monitoring and alarms. It’s not like there’s really any controls on a Smoke anyway, just alarm settings.

Comment

My personal biggest complaint with the Smoke is that silencing an alarm on the remote does not silence it on the main unit - meaning I need to go outside to clear the alarm. I guess the issue is that the receiver is just that - a receiver, with a 1 way connection.

Comment

• snowswamp
          snowswamp commented
          Editing a comment
          On my Smoke, if I turn the volume down to silence on the main unit, the remote still goes off but the main remains quiet. I haven’t been able to work that out on the Maverick so I use the Smoke when cooking over night so I don’t wake my neighbors if the wind messes with my temp.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          snowswamp that is my fix for this issue as well - I have the volume silenced on the main unit as well.

That's my only complaint with the Maverick XR50 as well. If I'm napping and the alarm goes off and I decide "ok my meat's at 170, I'll move it up to 180 now" I have to go outside to do that. The nice thing about the older Maverick ET 732 is the receiver has those controls!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here