Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ThermoWorks Billows Test Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ThermoWorks Billows Test Run

I made a video testing the performance of the ThermoWorks Billows with my Kamado Joe. Overall, the Billows works well & it does a great job maintaining the desired temperature. Within the video I mentioned that I find Signal's alarms to be annoying because I didn't know how to turn them off without having to manually disable them at the device itself. ThermoWorks left a comment explaining that there is a setting to turn off the alarms in the ThermoWorks app and on the Signal device.... just sharing in case others were also unaware.

Good video and walk through of the Signals with Billows fan Ken. You always do a pretty thorough job. I'm a Firboard/Pit Viper fan guy (still use them and love them) but bought a Signals when it first came out. I also have a Smoke and loved it so much that I figured the Signals would be the Fireboard equivalent. Part of it is my fault for not following through with them, but I think I have a faulty unit because;

1. As you mentioned the app is very quirky. Changes notations out of nowhere. Keeps temps alright but malfunctions constantly.
    2. The Wifi and Bluetooth both work great until about an hour or so into the cook either both or one of the two just stop working. Sometimes I can re-boot the thing and they start again, but only to shut off after some amount of time. And yes I checked my Wifi signal at the device and its strong.
    3. The graphs never save, that function just doesn't seem to work at all.
    4. Temp readings on my phone (probably due to quirky Bluetooth) seem to stall then jump up several degrees. When you're at the end of a cook and hitting the right temp is critical, that's a big problem.
    5. As you mentioned the alarms are irritating. I just set the alarm settings either high or low so they don't function at all.

I'm still a big ThermoWorks fan, love the ThermoPen and my Smoke. But until I get this Signals device and/or app straightened out, it sits in a drawer gathering dust. As I mentioned I need to get off my lazy butt and call them. They do have good customer service.

Comment

• kenrobin
      kenrobin commented
      Editing a comment
      My overall feelings about Billows & Fireboard are similar to yours. I reach for my FB first & I'll generally only use the Billows if I need a fan for a 2nd cooker while I'm already using my FB. I had problems with the design of Signals meat probes in my LSG offset so I was determined to find another use for them. I'm satisfied that it will work well enough with my Kamado Joe. I also really like ThermoWorks' products & I'm confident they will improve their app over time but FB is a clear #1.

My son has a Signals/Billows set he bought recently. We are astounded that it doesn't recognize an open pit. That is a basic function of a good control system and I am blown away that they'd release a system without that function. My son uses his on a Primo XL and when you open the lid, the fan fires up big time!

My DigiQ that I bought many years ago has an open lid detect and can manage not over firing a pit when you open the lid. I cannot recommend the ThermoWorks until they get their programming squared away to include this basic function. BTW, my Fireboard has open pit sense in it as well.

In addition, ThermoWork's claim that the Billows fan is 40 cfm is comical. That fan will produce between 15 to 20 cfm max. Of course that is more than adequate for a kamado but if you are planning on feeding air to a large pit that needs more air than that, look elsewhere. In addition they have chosen to use an USB connector on the fan as well.

I have been a ThermoWorks customer for years and trusted them in the past. I am quite disappointed in the Signals and Billows release with poor programming and poor information. Sad to see a trusted supplier taint their brand.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Good info. The thing about TWorks is they are always improving and making better. You know one day they will release the Billows 2.0 or something. Their team won't let another company permanently upstage them.

• kenrobin
      kenrobin commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't really pay much attention to the Billows not recognizing an open lid while I was making the video but I've seen others comment on it. I'll pay closer attention to this the next time I use it. I agree with Huskee.... ThermoWorks will improve the app & I wouldn't be surprised to see a Signals / Billows 2.0 when they really figure it all out.

FireBoard had the same issue with their alarms but I turned it off permanently. I never knew why you needed that anyway.

I have heard pretty good things about the Billows. Other than the lack of lid detection. My guess is that they will come out with a newer version that will have it. 1.0 versions of anything are never perfect. That is why I always wait to buy the second or third year version of a pick up. It gives them some time to work out the kinks with the new design.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow you cracked the 10,000 post mark. You get the proverbial Mr. Yak award !!!!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeeeeees Siiiiiiir! Troutman

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here