Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap Thermometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap Thermometer

Local Walmart is clearing out BBQ section
    saw this digital marked down to $5.00
    from $9.98....deal
    I know you get what you pay for but for the price what the heck
    Attached Files

Check to make sure it is accurate and you should be good to go!

But don't burn your hand with those long read times.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Forgive my ignorance but how would you verify accuracy.
      This is my first dive into digital thermometers.
      We have the Weber iGrill3 with wifi capability but only have 2 probes for it, tomorrow I was planning on doing a chuckie and a pork butt at the same time using the 2 probes for the meat and this probe for monitoring Keg temps.
      Is this sound planning or am I asking for trouble.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      smokin fool - place the probe in boiling water and it should read near 212* depending on your elevation. I'm at ~ 300' above sea level, and the bp of water is 211.7* if I remember correctly.

I have a Wal Mart thermometer from Taylor so don't judge the color by the seller. The other test you need to do is the ice test. Make a slurry of 3/4 ice and 1/4 water and stir it well and insert the probe. It should read 32 degrees.

Comment

And here I thought it was some kinda technical equation....hot and cold....who knew
      Thanx boyz….

Comment

How to use our comprehensive buying guide and reviews of thermometers for barbecue, for cooking, for food, for the oven, for the grill and for the smoker.

towards the end it tells ya who,what,where,when,why and how ta

Comment

It can help to run it under water in your sink. Just to get an idea of where the probe takes the temp. Thermoworks are all at the tip, but I've had thermometers where it was back slightly further.

Comment

Good pointt Michael Brinton my Taylor has to be inserted further than my MK4. It also takes 5-6 seconds vs. the 2 seconds or so of the MK4

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here