Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Like a kitten with a ball o' yarn, I'm tangled up in thermocouples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	83A01C72-3392-4BE3-98EA-572AC8A66792.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	723900Click image for larger version

Name:	044E4289-9569-4F59-A5CE-29ED8E13B5A8.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	723899 This is the refrigerator in my garage. My grills are right outside the back door in the picture. These are just brass screw eyes that I opened up just slightly with a pair of needle nose pliers so the cable would fit through but not the plug. I glued heavy duty strip magnet to the piece of wood and I have weaker strip magnet that I use to hold down the bottoms so they don’t flop around when I open the garage refrigerator.

Comment

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      Niiiiice!

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Skills

I either coil mine like you describe or just wrap them all around the base unit when a cook is finished. Then simply unwrap them by holding it and rotating slightly letting them uncoil around it. They are a little tangled, but it's not too hard to separate them.

Comment

This is what I have been using until lately. Since I bought a case for my BBQ Guru DigiQ, I have been rolling up the cables and using a binder clip instead of twist ties, and then put them into ziplock bags.

Comment

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        The HeaterMeater spool and the Fireboard spool do roughly the same thing. I get the impression the HM spool is hard plastic (3D printed?) and the FB spool Gdsim1 mentioned is soft plastic (https://www.fireboard.com/shop/probe-organizer/). Definite price difference. Both are giving me some ideas about a spool design made in leather -- leather working is what I do for my day job.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        IowaGirl , the Fireboard spools are great. They're not plastic, they're silicone. They take up space because of their design, but they're wonderful for preventing crimped and tangled leads.

Kathryn

Thermoworks has a case that I use. Cables are still coiled but are stored protected in a case on a shelf in my basement. I bought it to protect the thermometers while on camping trips but I really like using it for storage between all cooks. Probes that don't fit are still in their packaging. Also, Thermoworks Pro Series cables are sheathed which prevents kinks. I find they work good for low temp cooks. The temps in the lower grate area of my UDS when smoking chickens and turkeys are too high for them.

It holds everything showing in the pics.

Name:	20190803_073859.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	724441

Name:	20190803_073829.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	724442

Name:	20190803_073821.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	724443

Comment

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a couple of cases, each sized to hold one of my 2 Chef Alarms and its thermocouples. I had been storing thermocouples in one case and the Alarms in the other. The cases are tidy in the drawer, but no matter how carefully I coil and tie and insert those dang thermocouples into the little mesh pockets, the cables are still a pain to uncoil and straighten out. You must be a lot more patient than I am!

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        Many years of untangling fishing line I guess.

I used the cardboard tubes for years but bought the FireBoard cable holders and love them. I’m not worried about the sharp ends but you could use some old wine corks I guess?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here