Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Like a kitten with a ball o' yarn, I'm tangled up in thermocouples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like a kitten with a ball o' yarn, I'm tangled up in thermocouples

Over the years, I've acquired several digital thermometers, mostly from ThermoWorks, with varying types of thermocouples. I have grown to believe all thermocouples are tricksy, mean little creatures.

For a long time, I carefully coiled each thermocouple wire, fastened the coil with a wire tie from a bread sack, and stored it with its brethren in a kitchen drawer. Of course the wire never lays in a tidy, flat coil, so it takes up all kinds of room in the drawer and tangles with anything nearby. When time comes to use one, the wire inevitably refuses to uncoil nicely -- it wants to kink and tangle some more.

I've lately gone to draping the thermocouple wires over a hook in my kitchen, leaving both ends dangling. What with needle sharp tips, they pose a bit of a safety hazard, especially the ones with a 90 degree bend in the thermocouple. But they are sure easier to grab and use.

Any tips for how you store your thermocouples?

And do you have a preference for straight thermocouples or ones with a 90 degree bend?

they make a thing like a mini hose reel. Some of 'em are fancy and will clip the probe in place too!

*edit* tried to find a link for one, but only find probes that come with them, I'm sure someone has a more proper term or even a link for you

Comment

I put two or three twist ties on them. They lay flatter and don't tangle that way.

Comment

You can take the cardboard roll from any type of wrap and cut it into 2" or 3" sections, and cut a slit on each end. The put your probe inside a section and place the wire from the probe end in one slit, carefully wrap the wire around the section, and place the connector end in the other slit. That will keep them fairly neat, but it's a bit bulky.

Comment

Mine are coiled and tied with twist ties and in a box in the garage with my other outdoor BBQ stuff. They are not always neat and tidy but it works ok.

Comment

I coil mine and put in ziplock sandwich bags.

Comment

• Mudkat
              Mudkat commented
              Editing a comment
              This sounds simple and organized.

I sort of wrap em the way they came & shove em in the box they came in, then into a bigger box to hold em all. A Guy thing.

Comment

These rigs come with the Weber iGrill
              I’m sure they’re available separately on a website
              Attached Files

Comment

• IowaGirl
                IowaGirl commented
                Editing a comment
                A quick look on google doesn't show this type of thermocouple organizer being sold separately. Maybe they're out there -- just haven't seen them yet. But earbud organizers also popped up, and some of those designs could be translated to thermocouples. Thanks for the inspiration.

• Razor
                Razor commented
                Editing a comment
                The Weber ones are so nice. I wish everyone did that.

I use snack size zip-lock bags and have a special shoebox sized plastic container with lid to keep all the Q odds and ends in for neatness.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                I do the same.

I coil them up and use a rubber band or a bread package tie to keep them coiled. My wife gave me a galvanized metal tool box looking thing for Father's day; it is overflowing with TCs and instant read probes and stuff. I need another one...

Comment

Most of mine are on top of the fridge, with the cables dangling over side. The Maverik XR50 stays outside, stuck to the backside of an upright smoker. It has a ziplock bag over it and the two cables are on the patio table next to it, still attached. Other two hang from a clip on the fridge. Haven't shut the dang thing off in months, maybe a year! The remote does need turning off to save the batteries though.

Comment

• holehogg
                  holehogg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My home XR50 is hanging on the side of my fridge with the cables plugged in. My work XR50 hangs on a steel sheet next to the smoker with cables plugged in.
                  Both ready at a moment's notice.

IowaGirl - give these a look and see if they might work for you. Tad bit pricey (as is everything from FireBoard), but the best non-sandwich-baggie solution I’ve found so far.

Good luck! 😊

Comment

• Donw
                  Donw commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I made some similar to the fireboard on a 3D printer for my Maverick probes and then sprang for the fireboard ones for my Smoke and fireboard probes. To protect the sharp ends I use styrofoam which I spray with hypochlorite (diluted bleach) in the holes to kill any bacteria collecting during storage.

• gdsim1
                  gdsim1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Donw - can you grab some pics of the ones you made with the 3D printer? 😃 I would love to see that! The creativity and skill of our members is one of the things I love most about The Pit! 👍

• gdsim1
                  gdsim1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Donw - can you grab some pics of the ones you made with the 3D printer? 😃 I would love to see that! The creativity and skill of our members is one of the things I love most about The Pit! 👍

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0503.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.28 MB ID:	723876Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0504.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.97 MB ID:	723878

Comment

I coil mine up and stuff them into one of the zipper pouches I got from Thermoworks. Click image for larger version

Name:	16E8AFB8-5094-45C9-ACCC-0E39BB022037.jpeg
Views:	172
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	723881

Comment

• surfdog
                    surfdog commented
                    Editing a comment
                    HouseHomey I’m only organized because I’m too lazy to look for stuff.

Besides, it does raise eyebrows when I show up to help someplace with my knife rolls & thermometer case. LOL
                    Last edited by surfdog; August 2, 2019, 01:28 PM. Reason: Fixing autocorrect shirt.

• HouseHomey
                    HouseHomey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Knife roll. Mine is more like luggage. I like space. Not to mention my backpack. 😃

• surfdog
                    surfdog commented
                    Editing a comment
                    HouseHomey Oh yeah, I get that...
                    When I’m "gettin’ serious" it’s two knife rolls and a custom embroidered duffle bag.
                    Along with aforementioned thermometer case.
                    Every thing from a 3” paring knife to a clever...along with a 12” yanagi just in case. LOL

I got this. ;-)

I use earbud cases that you can get for a buck or so apiece - https://smile.amazon.com/Sunmns-Earp...-2-spons&psc=1

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-08-01 at 5.32.14 PM.png
Views:	150
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	723887
                  You can get them in either square or round shapes. Keeps the wires neat and coiled and unable to get tangled with others but you do still have to be careful about not poking your eye out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here