Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weird inconsistencies with DigiQ and Thermoworks Smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird inconsistencies with DigiQ and Thermoworks Smoke

this falls somewhere in between digital thermometers and thermostatic controllers but o figured more in this channel.

i have a digiq that i use with a pit viper in my kettle. I also have a smoke. Sometimes i use them both together even if only doing a single piece of meat. Ive noticed a bunch on inconsistencies that are happening again on this current cook (10lb pork butt). Currently using thw grate temp probe for both the digi and the smoke and the digi is driving the fan. Ive checked calibration on both and they are within 1 degree.

1. When getting up to temp, the smoke almost always reads 10-20 degrees higher
    2. The digi seems to read an almost inconceivably consistent level of whatever you have the fan set to maintain once it hits temp and settles in
    3. I just refreshed the coals and upped the temp set on the digi to 275 from 250. Currently, the digi says the pit temp is 275 and the smoke says its 250...so now the smoke is lower

this is not a one off. Ive had these kind of inconsistencies over most cooks ive used both on. I cannot figure it out. Anyone have any ideas or seen something similar?

i will say, the fan seems to be cycling a lot...short bursts of on off on off so im leaning towards something with the digiQ

grantgallagher they both use thermocouples and should be right on. What altitude are you smoking at, I see you are in NJ so you should not be far from sea level. You say you checked calibration on both the Digi and Smoke and they are with in 1 degree is this with ice or boiling water. Is the smoke probe next to the digi probe. I love to trouble shoot things so lets see if we can fix this.

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      mountainsmoker checked the calibration with both the ice slurry and boiling water. On this particular cook the grate probes are on either side of the butt, left and right. But ive seen the same thing positioning them next to each other on previous cooks.

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      Using a SnS btw. And the smoke probe is on the unlit side of the SnS when starting.

Keeps getting weirder. Coals seem to be burning really fast. Just wrapped the butt and my digiQ says 320 and my smoke says 280

Comment

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes it is. Probes and there wires do go bad though. Try a check of the probes again of both the Digi-Q and the Smoke. Try to replicate how the wires are bent in your smoker as best you can. Or try leaving the probes in your smoker and bring a big pot of boiling water to it and then cover it and see if they register the same. They should be between 180 and 200. I hope this helps you trouble shoot the problem.

mountainsmoker the smoke is basically 3 months old and I replaced all the probes on the digiQ about the same time. Its not like the cooks turn out bad, its more of a curiosity thing at this point

Comment

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      As long as the smokes are coming out good and you can put up with the differences I would not worry about it. But it would drive me crazy. LOL

I’d do some testing with no food. Just line up all available probes close to each other and then switch the order etc. maybe you can tell what’s going on.

Comment

My PartyQ will read up to 25 degrees different than my Smoke or XR-50. 99.9% of the time it's 5-15 degrees different even with the probes as close to each other as possible. I bought a new probe for the PartyQ and I have multiple probes for both the Smoke and XR-50...same differences. I finally decided to trust my Smoke and XR-50 and set the PartyQ temp to whatever is needed to get the temp I'm wanting.

Comment

I’ve seen this, too. If both devices are properly calibrated, the only possible answer is that they are both right, and that there are temperature variations inside the cooking chamber.

FYI, once the DigiQ hits temp it doesn’t display variations of less than 5*. If it is set to 250, everything from 245 to 255 displays as 250. This is to keep us Nervous Normans from fiddling with it constantly.

Comment

• grantgallagher
          grantgallagher commented
          Editing a comment
          Mosca well chalk that part up to me not reading instructions, lol. Good to know. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here