Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Fireboard App

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Fireboard App

Has anyone tried out the new programmable Fireboard app?

I've checked it out, but not used it. Not sure I'll have a use for the programming. I don't really cook anything to where I need to change temps through the cook. Besides, I don't want it to start changing cooker temps until I can confirm that the leave-in probe matches the instant read checks.

Comment

I have it, but haven’t used the programs yet. I really like the idea, still need to figure out when to use them.

Comment

Off the top of my head I can only think of a couple of scenarios in which I may use it:

1) Perhaps chicken/turkey smokes, where I could set it for more smoke at 225 for a set time and then kick it up to 325 to finish
        2) an overnight/out for the day naked pork butt cook, where I could set a target internal temp around 200 and have it programmed to turn the pit temp down to 150-170 and hold it there.

Comment

What do you all think of a brisket cook where you end internal temp around 203 and then hold it in the smoker at 180 rather than doing a cambro. If it was in paper/foil, you would leave it that way.

Comment

• Sephon
            Sephon commented
            Editing a comment
            It would take my Primo HOURS to go from 225 to 180 after an 8 hour cook. I love these ideas, I just can't find many applications for it. Especially in a ceramic.

I love the idea. I have not used it yet but I plan too this weekend. This feature has been available with the GURU systems for a while. It always worked fine with my Digi Q DX2.

Comment

I'm too lazy to figure it out, you guys make it work then tell me how to do it ok?

And not to change the subject, but has anyone got the Thermoworks app to work with the Signals device? Mine does a great job reading temps but I can never get any of the other features, like graphs, to work. The app is totally full of bugs, I may have to spray it with Raid.

Comment

• Razor
              Razor commented
              Editing a comment
              It’s not the most intuitive app but it works fine for me. There a lot of tapping involved to get around in it. Sometimes things like graphs take 20-30 seconds to populate. They do need to spend some time on it. My ‘favorite’ bug is when the alarms start going off and you cannot turn them off.

I like the "new look" which highlights the DRIVE functionality of the app to differentiate that data from the food probe data. I probably won’t play around with advanced programming since the FireBoard works perfectly for me out of the box. Installed on my wscgc with a Pit Viper fan and the FireBoard controller cable, it has been a game-changer for me. No more babysitting the grill. Love the graphs.

Comment

I used it this past weekend for a chuckle/pulled beef cook. I set it to cook at 250°F until the internal temps hit 155°F (anticipating the stall) then bump to 275°F to power through it. It seemed to work fairly well.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Good to hear. I plan on giving it a go this weekend. If I get the chance to do so.

This is a semi old thread, and last May not very many had tried the app. How about in the months since? If you are using it, how does it work for you? Had a Fireboard thrown in with the Blaz'n Grid Iron I bought, and while I like being able to have 6 probes connected, I'm less than impressed with the app. At least half the time I have no signal. I see lots of comments from people complaining about Smoke dropping it's connection, but I have had far less problem with my smoke losing it's connection than I have had in the short time I've had the Fireboard. One reviewer I read said his occasionally lost its signal, but this is a constant issue for me. Did the seller get rid of a lemon? Am I missing something I need to do? Are people just more critical of Thermoworks than they are of Fireboard?

Comment

• Randy-Phx
                Randy-Phx commented
                Editing a comment
                Are you connected using Bluetooth or WiFi? I have never dropped a WiFi signal from my Fireboard. I used to have a Bluetooth device and it was unreliable.

• Bogy
                Bogy commented
                Editing a comment
                Randy-Phx I'm connected to wi-fi. Right now where I'm sitting in my house it's telling me the Fireboard's signal strength is at 82%. And for about 5 minutes it also told me it was waiting for readings. Short time compared to many occasions.

• Dewesq55
                Dewesq55 commented
                Editing a comment
                I had significant connectivity issues until I extended my wifi signal to the back corner of the main level of the house (main router is in the basement, mid-front) now I have great signal at the BBQ patio behind the garage and fire or no lost signal/waiting for temps issues. On Sunday I had to run to the store and the app was still recording live temps.

My FireBoard works like a boss!! I gave my smoke away, it continually would need reset and I couldn’t go in the house without the signal dropping. The FireBoard WiFi works awesome for me.

Comment

Had some early connectivity issues with the fireboard. But has become much more stable over the last year with software updates.

This is using wifi. I haven’t tried using Bluetooth alone since setting it up.

I have used the programmable function. Trouble is it makes state changes based on whichever probe you specify, so that probe had better be in the exact the right place. I rather look at all the temps since I usually have many running, and since I can Wi-Fi and see and control from anywhere, I don’t use the programmable function much. My cookers will cool down reasonably quickly. I can’t imagine it working well in something insulated like a kamado.

Comment

• Bogy
                  Bogy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  With the BLE Bluetooth the Fireboard uses, as far as I can tell, there is no way to actually turn the Bluetooth on or off. When you are in proximity with the unit it connects, when you are out of range, which doesn't take much, since BLE is a low powered form of Bluetooth, it doesn't connect. Right at the moment (with nothing actually in the smoker, just watching the temp readouts), I've only lost the signal once. much better than what it was doing this afternoon when I was actually trying cook.

I've only used my Fireboard 4 or 5 times so far, but haven't noticed any connectivity issues during those cooks. I've been very happy with it, so I ordered the fan control cable and a pit viper fan a few days ago and both are scheduled to arrive today. I have a pair of chuck roasts and a small pork butt in the freezer patiently waiting for a nice long cook to test out the new tools. As for me, I'm not waiting quite as patiently. I really need to pick a day and ask SWMBO to leave the calendar free so I can get a long cook in.

Comment

I did a very basic program once. It worked fine.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here