Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some Surface Temp Thermometer Options???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are some Surface Temp Thermometer Options???

I just picked up a charcoal grill from a buddy of mine but there is no temperature gauge on the lid of the grill. I want to get an idea of how hot my charcoal grill is running so I assume I'll need some sort of gun that reads surface temp.

Not looking for anything too expensive but looking for some advice on guns to check out.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

You might want to consider a thermometer that clips onto your grate instead. What's your budget?

Comment

If you point an IR gun into a charcoal grill, all you’re going to read is the burning charcoal. As suggested, get something with a probe and a clip to support it about an inch above the grate.

Comment

I guess no real budget. Not sure how much these thermometers cost. $50? $100? Suggestions of what to get?

I do own a FireBoard but I don’t think I want to hook it up each time I use the charcoal grill. I would rather have a thermometer that essentially lives in the charcoal grill.
        Last edited by EZCUSE; April 19, 2019, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EZCUSE View Post
          I would rather have a thermometer that essentially lives in the charcoal grill.
          Here's a couple of lid dial thermometers that get good ratings in the reviews/ratings.

Engelbrecht 10776-03290 https://amazingribs.com/thermometers...6-03290-review

Tel-Tru BQ300 https://amazingribs.com/thermometers...ll-thermometer
          Last edited by fuzzydaddy; April 20, 2019, 06:05 AM.

Comment

You have many options. The Thermoworks Chef Alarm that I use runs about $60. It uses a probe. Single channel. I have 2, 1 for oven, 1 for checking meat IT. Good luck... Click image for larger version

Name:	2E184610-98D5-4B92-BA3B-EC4A0B360F64.jpeg
Views:	189
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	667327

Comment

Yeah, you’ll want ambient temperature, not surface temperature of the grate itself. They’ve given you some great thermometer options above. I’m preferable to Thermoworks.

Getting an infrared gun in the future? thermoworks also have IR guns too!

Comment

I use a Thermoworks DOT and Chef Alarm. Had them for years work great.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here