Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remote Temperature Monitoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dubob Let us know how this Inkbird unit works out and holds up over time. I personally would have gone with a Maverick, Thermoworks or Fireboard unit, as they have good reputations. The Inkbird website has a lot of interesting stuff, and ironically, a lot of it is familiar from my home brewing hobby - the temperature controllers in most cases appear to be rebranded Chinese built devices that they have silkscreened their name and logo onto. I cannot speak to the thermometers they offer, but I have a couple of the temp controllers, but with different brand names on them than what shows on the Inkbird site. They work well, but are commodity eBay items.

Comment

• dubob
      dubob commented
      Editing a comment
      As stated earlier by me, the review ratings for both the InkBird and Maverick were almost identical on several different websites. The Ink Bird had better options that are important to me such as connection distance and being waterproof. And with a $30 lower cost, the choice was easy. But only time will tell if I made the wisest choice. 😁 If it breaks in any way, shape, or form, I'll be certain to report it.

I will be curious to hear your thoughts. I have not heard of this brand before.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      The Inkbird dubob Is that not the one you purchased?

• dubob
      dubob commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry, it wasn't clear to me if you were referring to the brand I bought or the 3 brands jfmorris was talking about. We're good now. I'll being making some comments in the Ink Bird 4S as I use it in the near future.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      No worries, I could have been more clear. dubob

thermoworks chef alarm and a hand full of thermoworks Dots works well for me

Comment

Here I am using BlueStacks so I can watch my temps while working on my PC. Almost time to wrap that pork butt!

Click image for larger version

Name:	swGdFoe.png
Views:	179
Size:	385.0 KB
ID:	663076

Comment

I discovered something about the company (Ink Bird) that I hadn't heard or read before - their service center is off shore and most likely China. I've been emailing back and forth with their support people and the character of the replies is hilarious. My unit is new and I really wasn't finding any problems with it, but when I put the 4 probes in ice water, I got a couple of temperature readings of "LLL". That was not covered in the manual, so I emailed the support folks. It took 3 emails from me and 3 emails from them before they finally understood I was NOT reporting a defect or problem but was just asking for an explanation as to what "LLL" was an indication of. Their writing in English is comical and needs an open mind to understand it. I'm glad I didn't have to endure phone calls with them. I haven't had a chance to actually use the Ink Bird IRF-4S yet, but will report the results when I do.

Comment

For remote temps I use my ThermaQ Wifi.
          https://www.thermoworks.com/ThermaQ-...eep-Frying-Kit (Seeing as I already have a bunch of "regular" probes.)

If I don't need remote...I can use one on my two ThermaQ units.
          Specializing in cool, unique and professional temperature tools. Super-Fast thermocouples, thermistors, infrared thermometers, data logging and more.

Specializing in cool, unique and professional temperature tools. Super-Fast thermocouples, thermistors, infrared thermometers, data logging and more.

Slightly spendy but super accurate and durable.
          Last edited by surfdog; April 13, 2019, 06:40 PM. Reason: Added links to the products... (Don't have the Pit affiliate links though.)

Comment

While temperature monitoring isn’t required for 3-2-1 pork ribs, I wanted to check out the Ink Bird IRF-4S for a cook. I’m doing 2 different sauce flavors on this cook of St Louis cut ribs; Blues Hog Original on one half and Blues Hog Tennessee Red mixed with Traeger Apricot, 50/50. The rub is the same on both – Blues Hog Dry Rub Seasoning.

The barrel chamber temp tracks almost perfectly with the built in CC probe.

The meat probes are within 15 degrees of each other and I’m guessing the difference is because the probes are not perfectly placed with in the muscle of each half rack. It wouldn’t take much for one probe to be closer to a bone or the out surface to generate a different IT.

I did buy a bone-in Boston Butt today and will be doing a pulled pork cook later this week. The Ink Bird will be used for that cook as well.

So, after only one use, I’m liking the Ink Bird 5-Stars worth. 😁👍

Comment

Originally posted by dubob
              My unit is new and I really wasn't finding any problems with it, but when I put the 4 probes in ice water, I got a couple of temperature readings of "LLL". That was not covered in the manual, so I emailed the support folks. It took 3 emails from me and 3 emails from them before they finally understood I was NOT reporting a defect or problem but was just asking for an explanation as to what "LLL" was an indication of. Their writing in English is comical and needs an open mind to understand it.
              Here is an update from Ink Bird Customer Support on the "LLL" reading.
              Hi friend,
              Thanks for your patience.
              We have confirmed the LLL is the signal of low temp (lower than 0℃ or 32℉), it doesn't mean defective probe or any other thing, please dont worry.
              And we will inform this issue to our relevant colleague to see whether we could add this into specification.
              Thanks for your understanding.
              Any other confusion please feel free to let us know.
              As I said before - comical to read.

Because I was an electronics engineer in a past life, I assumed that the "LLL" was an indication of a low reading. InkBird didn't seem to be aware that this wasn't mentioned in the manual. Oops! 😁

Comment

Hey Dubob, I hope the Inkbird is working out.

I am also looking for wireless options for thermometers and temperature controller, preferably waterproof to endure the Scottish winter (and summer...). Let us know your continued experience with the Inkbird.

You mentioned good Amazon reviews for the product. After reading the following article on Which! the UK equivalent to the US Consumer Reports, I am very weary of Amazon reviews especially for unknown brands: https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/04...ies-on-amazon/

So far, I am sticking to the AmazingRibs and its user group for equipment reviews

Comment

• dubob
                  dubob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  While I've only had it for 1 month, I've used it on three cooks so far and it has met all of my expectations so far. The temps are spot on and the timer alarm is great for letting me know it's time to check something while I'm engrossed on my computer or watching a movie on the tele. My latest cook was turkey jerky. When the IT hit 145, I checked it and pulled it and it was the best jerky I've ever done. Texture and doneness were perfect.

• dubob
                  dubob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And if you're wondering at 145*F for poultry being too low, rest easy. The jerky mix kit contains some curing ingredients which eliminate the need to take it to 165*F, which would be way to high for jerky. This from Hi Mountain Seasonings, the kit maker. 😊

• dubob
                  dubob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I tried the fakespot.com to check on the Amazon reviews for the IRF-4S. They gave it a 'D' grade. Fakespot gave the company (inkbird) a 'B' grade. I didn't glen much from the analysis data they provided. I think I'll just continue my own analysis process which has been working just fine for me. YMMV.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here