Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermoworks smoke prob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermoworks smoke prob

Recently acquired a Yoder 640. I also bought themoworks smoke and thermopen. The probs for the smoke do not fit into the prob port on the Yoder. Is there a bigger prob port available? If not can I run the probe thru the smoke stack? Was thinking about closing the lid on the wire but wondering if if would affect the temp inside because there is not a good seal and/or might damage the wire.

Thanks, Edmon

Welcome! I close my lids on my probe wires, even my heavy Yoder stickburner. While some say you shouldn't do it (and they're likely correct, you *shouldn't*), I've found if you do it gently it doesn't hurt, especially if you have no other viable option. Smoke stack would probably work if you had enough length and felt like doing that.

Comment

Yea I'm not sure on a Yoder, the lid might be a bit tight. I close my lid onto my TW probe wires on my pellet pooper but I've got a gasket that kind of softens the blow on the wires. Plus if I keep the wires all the way over to one side there is a small gap in mine that doesn't pinch what-so-ever. On my Webers I have probe ports built-in or added.

Comment

I have a 640 too. Is the flap on the port working? That should give you a hole about 3/4 of an inch when open. Did you try running the plug ends through instead from inside out? I have done cooks using all 6 probes of a Fireboard, and 2 from the Smoke all going thru the hole. Are you using the hole just forward of the controller at the level of the upper grate?

And, welcome to the Pit!

Comment

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 You might have the older type port which is a grommet instead of the newer flap type

Mine was built 8-15
        Attached Files

Comment

I would suggest disassembling and cleaning your bung. Aircraft talk for what you have there.

Comment

• NapMaster
            NapMaster commented
            Editing a comment
            I hate a dirty bung! 😂

Edmon, you asked about running probes through the stack. Thermoworks specifically says NO! You may want to read this of their articles for more info: https://blog.thermoworks.com/thermom...afety-a-guide/

Comment

If you have the ability to cut a hole where your current probe is, I'd recommend you cut a larger hole and attach the newer port cover that comes on current Yoders.

Comment

You can get any size firewall grommet you need on eBay or Amazon - use a step drill to make the hole for your new port.

Click image for larger version

Name:	grommet.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	3.0 KB
ID:	661070

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here