Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Probe Problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probe Problems.

3 off my probes are no longer playing the game.
    I was wondering is there a lifespan for probes or is it the way I am using them.
    I use them a lot and I mean a lot. I cant be certain but think most have gone on the blink since getting my kettle. I route them between the lid and the bottom. I suspect the pinch may be causing the damage?

There can be several reasons.......

You may have moisture in the probe, this can cause it to read funny. You can bake them in a 400 F oven to get rid of the moisture then do a boil test to see what kind of readings you get. You should be right around 100 C depending on your elevation.

If you pinch the wires, it should be fine. Pretty much all that can happen there is the wire is severed or it is not. So if you are getting a reading at all, it is probably not the wire and more likely the probe it self.

Dropping them, slamming them in a door or any other shock can cause them to go wonky on you. You may just have to replace them. I have had my FB probes for about two years now and they are still reading fine. My Maverick probes never lasted that long but they are not nearly as robust. What type of probes are you using?

Regardless, you should do a boil test to see how far off you are.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for response. XR50 probes. What happened at some stage was a supposed faulty probe started working properly again and as you say moisture may have been the cause. Will try your advice and see what happens.

I know Fireboard probes are only warranted for 6 months. I assume that's the norm for most companies. The more you use them and the temps they are exposed to affects their longevity. I run my wires under my kettle lid every time with zero issues.

Comment

I've had 1 or 2 Thermoworks probes go bad on me, but attribute it to getting the probe or wires too wet. Now I just be careful to clean just the metal part of the probe, and am resigned to having sooty looking wires for the part of the braided cable that is inside the cooker.

Many probes have a max temperature that the cable can be exposed to. Even if smoking on your kettle, try and avoid having the wires routed directly above the charcoal. For a long time I always routed my cables through the top vent, but it can be awkward when you go to open the kettle, unless you have really long wires. Lately I've been routing them under the lid as well. It causes some smoke leakage around the area where the wires are that I don't have otherwise, but overall does not seem to be enough to affect the cook.

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        I make sure I don't run the wires anywhere near the coals. As you mention I may have been getting the cable too wet when cleaning especially at the point where cable and probe meat.
        Thx.

I think I have had my Thermoworks Smoke for about 4 years now and have had 2 probes go bad on me. I pretty much use them exclusively on my kettle. They aren't super expensive to replace so when I see them on sale I pick up a couple to have around in case another goes bad. So if you get 2-3 years out of a probe I don't think that is too bad, especially with heavy use and less than meticulous storage.

Comment

I have 2 Mavericks and it seems like I order new probes every 18-24 months or so. I do the boiling water test on mine if I suspect they are being unreliable. It also seems as though the meat probes last way longer than the grate probes. Not a huge expense so I see replacement as $$$$ well spent. I try to have one of each in reserve at all times. Which reminds me, I need to place an order.

Comment

Yep, sooner or later they break. Order some new ones.

Comment

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            Will be.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here