Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermometer placement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermometer placement.

Most of us use thermometers to monitor both pit and protein temps. We know to place the pit probe away from the heat, and not too close to the protein. But for protein, how do you place the probe in it?

Lets talk about a chuck roast which is normally much wider than it is thick. Do you stick the probe in from the top or from the side? I've always stuck the probe in from the side, trying to stick it in the middle of the thickness, and close to the middle of the width. Now I'm considering placing the probe in from the middle of the top and trying to find the center.

Regardless of how I do it, I go back after the temp of the protein has started to rise and move the probe around a bit until I find the lowest temp. That should be the center.

I just kind of ballpark it in where I think the center is, as long as it's close it's not a huge deal. Every cook is different, sometimes it's easier to come in from the side, sometimes in from the top is more handy, whatever works.

Comment

I would argue it doesn't matter whether you stick it in from the side or the top. As long as the tip of the probe is dead center.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly! But we do what we are used to doing...

Probe-bly in the centre whether from the top or side. I find the easiest access place to get there.

Comment

I shoot for the center of the thickest part, then check all over with the Thermapen as it gets close to being done.

Comment

Always lengthwise from the side as Im more likely to nail the center I’m looking and on the first try.

i never move it again until the meat is handled/rotated. Also the probe is more stable. That’s just me.

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            CaptainMike "I’m just a cook, a lowly, lowly cook."

There is a serious science behind this. For me, I have absolutely no idea what is easiest on the blade. You just use what you. I care for my blades daily at home. I also carry two back ups. One boner &one chefs knife back up. Because I use a Mac chef knife (8”) and a
            wustoff (10”) chef knife I travel with 3 total chefs knifes so I’m good. I never hone on the fly or like you see on tv. At home I have the white plastic board and a 2 1/4” Boos

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Brother, I guess just use common sense and don't cut on anything that will obviously mess up a knife (glass or metal). I have started using a scraper to swipe up or move chopped foods instead of my knife blade, not sure if it matters but seems like a good habit. I should count myself as lucky because these are the things I think about when I can't sleep at night!

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            CaptainMike For Sure on the scraper. Don’t use your knife. Excellent habit. I use a stainless I’ve had forever.

Either way as long as the tip of the probe is in the center of the meat. I usually go in from the side after measuring to find how deep it'll need to go by setting the probe flat on top and pinching the probe with my fingers where its needs to be inserted to.

Comment

• RichieB
            RichieB commented
            Editing a comment
            What I do too.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here