Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Instant read...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instant read...

Thermometer - I can take a steak off the grill, set on plate, If I stick immediately, I can get 150 - 170F. If I wait, say 45 sec to one minute then stick, that high temp would be 120 to 140 ish.

Is this normal for instant reads, one Mississippi... then stick. Or is mine a bummer!

Boil some water and read the temperature of the water. Do it several times while the water is boiling to see if you get the same reading.

Comment

I understand that! Which becomes, can food pulled off, heat source initially fool, instant reads, so as to wait 30-60 seconds stick for accurate temp.

Seems thicker meat requires, little more equilibrium time.

Celebrity chefs TV stick while still on heat source, there done! Not for me

I could replace my CDN, with a maverick & still have the same reults

Comment

Are you sticking the probe in to the same depth each time? Where is the actual sensor located in the probe of the thermometer? how fast is your instant-read rated? If you are not getting much past the meat surface, you definitely will get a lower reading, because the outside will cool off.

Also keep in mind that you should probe multiple spots on a larger piece of meat, to find the lowest temperature.

Comment

Check in boiling water, and again in iced water that has set for about 30 minutes in a quality tumbler like a yeti rambler.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            ...or an Rtic Tumbler

Um... about that 150 - 170 degree steak...

Comment

Consistently my CDN instant read, will read very high, if stuck immediately! Solution I wait approx. 30 - 45 sec, then stick, which is accurate, or normal.

Do other instant reads, act like that?????????

Comment

Update its a CDN TCT572, Called CDN they suggested bat change. Purchased 2015, have never changed the bat.

If problem persists return 5 year warranty.

Comment

• Thunder77
                Thunder77 commented
                Editing a comment
                Battery could very well be the culprit.

I agree with Thunder77 . I have a thermopen Mk 4 and when probing a steak my readings can be all over the place. As you stick it you 1st measure the surface, then the center and finally the opposite ( down ) side. It sometimes difficult to determine the exact center and that's not all. Your steak can very in temp a 1/4 inch in on either side. So best measure several different spots. The insta read function is exactly that, almost too much information.

Comment

Hi Timbo,
                This does not seem consistent with available knowledge for these high price themo-couples. I have used the same hole, to re stick, first perhabs 160-170, wait 45 sec, reads 130-140.
                That seems correct to me as 1st removing then sticking, has retained heat, thigh temp given, wait 45sec heat dissipates, equilibrium reached more normal temp.
                Even on adds for instant reads, you see them sticking, while still on the grill, flame may be off, but I'd get a high temp.
                I did mention bat was a concern "CDN", perhaps that affects how quickly it can respond.

Asked but not answered, can instant reads be fooled (give higher temps), as stuck too soon, not allowing for equilibrium? If this is so then all can be fooled

Comment

Just as aside, if you're cooking steak to 170, it's overdone...

But anyway I've got a Javelin thermo and it takes I dunno, 2-3 seconds to read but seems consistent. To be fair, I haven't done the boiling water/ice bath test in quite a while but every now and then if I'm sous-viding something then I'll stick it in the water to see if it matches my Anova and it's never been more than a degree or a degree and a half off.

Comment

I’ve never seen such issues with my Thermopen or my RT600C. With a steak or other thin cut, be sure you are not seeing surface temperature or pushing past the center of the meat and measuring near the bottom side (grate side). I probe steaks from the edge, so that I know I am in the center of the meat.

Comment

• grantgallagher
                      grantgallagher commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Im with jfmorris never had this phenomenon with my thermopops. I regularly probe while on the grill and get accurate readings (judging by what a steak looks like when cut)

Here is a two handed idea. Stick the steak and without removing the thermometer remove the steak from the grill and see what happens. That way the depth and spot will be certain to remain the same.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here