Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you clean your ambient probe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea, I clean all probes. Can't hurt. But I'm anal about cleaning the grill after each cook as well as covering it. I do back off a bit in winter on cleaning .

Comment

• ssandy_561
      ssandy_561 commented
      Editing a comment
      I see what you did there. "Probe" / "anal". You’ve been in the mothership haven’t you!

😂

Yeah I do mine every couple or three cooks, or if I notice anything building up on it. Meat probe gets cleaned every time.

Comment

I put all mine in the dishwasher after each use cus I am lazy.

Comment

• Red Man
        Red Man commented
        Editing a comment
        😳

My probes are water resistant but certainly not dishwasher safe. What kinda probes do you put in the dishwasher? I have a a ThermoWorks smoke.

• lonnie mac
        lonnie mac commented
        Editing a comment
        My FireBoard probes have seem many a dishwasher cycles. Still going strong.

Put me down as joining the bunch who cleans the ambient probes along with the after each use. I like them shiny and ready for the next cook.

Kathryn

Comment

My probes go for a soak every time I clean my cooking grate. Thanks to lonnie mac I learned to use a hot water tank drain pan and DAWN detergent. Let them soak for about 20 minutes and then a little scrubbing.

This way you can keep the connection end out of the water if that's a concern.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          I know, right? That hot water heater pan solution is genius, lonnie mac . You're certainly not just another pretty face, Lonnie Mac.

K.

I wash then temp test in boiling water

Comment

What is the point in an ambient probe? All I care about is the cooker / food temperature. As long as that is good, the outside temp doesn’t matter at all to me.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            I think he means ambient as in cooker temperature. At least that's what I thought.

K.

• jlazar
            jlazar commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, smoker probe.

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            The ambient temp inside the cooker.

I clean my cooker probe every now and again. My meat probes get a wipe down but given that they've been inside moist meat, they clear up pretty easy. The hardest spot is usual the part that was at the edge of the meat.

Truth be told, I'm not crazy about keeping everything clean. I do tend to clean as much of the cooker as I can right after a cook, but that's because it's generally way easier to clean when warm. Stuff that's stuck to the grills, flakey stuff on the lids, and anything chunky.

Odd as it might sound, the smokey patina on just about anything I have it on is sort of a badge of honor. I like the look. For instance, I like seeing that color around my damper on the grills.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but a sparkling clean outdoor cooker seems wrong to me, lol.

Comment

To answer the question I clean both probes every time, usually just a sponge to clean the ends off. Everything I’ve ever read says don’t let water get into the probes, aka don’t submerge the cable to probe connection, but more than a couple said they soak the probes. Am I reading that wrong or are they soaking the entire cable or just the ends?

Comment

• MBMorgan
              MBMorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              Just the ends.

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              Just the ends. I kind of rest the probe ends on a sponge floating in hot soapy water to soak a bit. Then give them a scrub. I occasionally run a brillo pad over the whole length of the cable being sure I hold tight to the end before it goes into the jelly bean (?) so I don't pull hard on the wires.

• Andrrr
              Andrrr commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks. That’s what I thought but ya never know. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had my probes ruined by people trying to help wash them after cookouts

Originally posted by MBMorgan View Post
            Bottom line: Keep all probes clean ... always.
            This.

Comment

Ok I’ll be the blasphemous one! I used to clean it every few cooks, then got lazy and stopped. Now I clean it every few years. Haven’t noticed any difference.

Comment

Like with with soap n stuff? I think I’ve cleaned mine before.

Comment

I just cleaned mine during a cook. It was under mucho drippings and got coated. Was reading 40-50 under what it should have been. Little hot, but those coated drippings tasted pretty good.

Comment

I'm with Mark. Whenever my thermometers or probes are new I'm tempted to clean it after the first couple of cooks, and then only every once in a great while when it gets really black. And then I just scrape it off with some foil until it looks half shiny again. Black gunk doesn't insulate much.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here