Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you clean your ambient probe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you clean your ambient probe

The meat probes always get a good cleaning after a cook. What about the ambient probe? Any pros or cons?

I clean it after a long cook, not a short cook. If you let too much gunk build up on it, the gunk will insulate the probe and it’ll be slow to respond to temp changes.

Comment

Bottom line: Keep all probes clean ... always.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Ya mean like every time Unc?

Gets cleaned along with the temp probes after each use.

Comment

Generally after each use. Easy to do just a quick wipe on the shorter cooks.

Comment

No but the other night it was reading funny unplugged it cleaned it good as new

Comment

Not only do I keep my probes clean, I ask my doctor to keep his clean too...

Comment

• NapMaster
              NapMaster commented
              Editing a comment
              Love it! Was thinking of something else but the gentleman in me said, "Don't go there".

• Rfhd69
              Rfhd69 commented
              Editing a comment
              Haaaaaaaaa!

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hahahahahaha. You are killing me. Read this while trying to eat a grilled cheese sandwich. Have cheese on my shirt from laughing!!!!!

The Aliens clean my probes

Comment

I simply wipe mine off with a damp paper towel. This happens after each use regardless of cook time.

Comment

Clean. A clean probe is a happy probe.

Comment

A lot of creosote can build up over time, and I feel like that could affect performance. It's always the easiest probe to clean, so I figure why not.

Comment

Probes are cleaned after each cook and are ready for the next cook .

Comment

I clean mine every time. If you let the probe gunk up, it will become more and more inaccurate.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. I have always cleaned mine also. Just wondering if it was a cleanup step that wasn't necessary.

Comment

On the PBC I use a HeaterMeter, and the pit probe for that is a thermocouple. It stays outside on the PBC at all times. Never clean it. Reads temperature just fine.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here