Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you have an IR therm and a cast iron pan, I have an experiment for you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may have to give this a go! Not sure how it will compare into some recordable data. I have I guess you could say a dang nice Kitchen Aid pro style stove with handle melting burners. (Yea, I have already done that) I gotta cast iron pan, and a bang up great IR thermo! (Thanks to some generous Pit member!!)

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Flame On, wit cha Bad Self, Brother!!!!

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      love my kitchenaid, mine is electric glass top, but yeah, will go scary hot.

I have cast interstitial displacement anomalies and peak center-line coefficient of heat transfer values dancing into conflicting choreographs in my head. This experiment will require that I attend therapy.

I'll read the results, but I can't help contribute to them.

I have OCD, so this is not good for me. But I have ADD too, so although I am Shelton Cooper-level bothered that the collection criteria isn't perfect, apparently it won't bother me for long.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      the engineer in me is seriously stressed out by this

Largest indoor gas burner on max (high-10) room temp ~76F, finex 12” with good seasoning and a small thin oil pool. After exactly 5 minutes, surface reads 450-467F. Note that it continues to climb to 500+ and start smoking a lot, so did not find equilibrium. (Repeated this test twice)

same starting conditions with the same burner in medium (5). After 5 minutes surface is ~ 375F. Temp still going up steadily beyond 5 minutes.

Same starting conditions, same burner at "low" (2.5). 311F after five minutes.
    Last edited by Polarbear777; December 13, 2018, 05:34 AM.

Comment

I guess many decades ago ovens were also "low/med/high" so most recipes for baking are at 350 which was about "medium". Now we have combo-ovens and even portable induction burners that claim to maintain constant temp within 2F.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        If that thing cost 1/4-1/3 of what it does, I'd be interested - being a control freak, of course! ;-)

thermometer: amprobe IR607A
      skillet: BSR #8
      range: kitchenaid electric glasstop

low: 114°
      med: 643.5°
      high: error (only reads to 750°)

now i have to go reseason this bad boy took some abuse on high!

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
        DogFaced PonySoldier commented
        Editing a comment
        Whaaaaaat???? Wow, that seems highly variable! Did you cool completely between readings? Almost 650ºF at medium????

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        DogFaced PonySoldier cooled the pan to somewhere in the 70's each time.

Funny you mentioned this as I have been doing the same thing. I have a glass top which my wife loves and I hate but I have noticed that the 12 inch cast iron skillet is always much hotter in the middle while i am cooking bacon then the edge. Also each burner, even if the same size, is different. I also use it to test pit temperatures and fire. Unfortunetley it is a Harbor Freight brand so it only goes to 1000 degrees so I cant tell if my fire is at 1000, 1100, or 1200 degrees. It is fun because I use it to test the lid temperature, stack temperature, firebox and so on as well as inside the chamber and outside meat temps.

Comment

Maybe I'm not thinking right, but why cool down the pan with each rise in BTU's ?? If a pan sits at say 110* on low, then you turn the heat up to medium and you wait 5 minutes it's going to seek its next temperature gradient, say 300* then crank it up to high and do the same thing, how is that different from starting from a cooled down pan with each try? I'm not seeing the logic or the physics behind that.

Anyway been busy so haven't had the chance to do this. Maybe I'll try both ways and prove/disprove my statement above.

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          At least on my burner, 5 minutes isn’t enough time to reach a stable temperature state.

I could find out how long this takes but I’d have to disable smoke alarms and open windows to find out at anything above medium.

I think 5 min is the standard preheat time specified in recipes, so cold pan to cook time.

Alright this is what I came up with. My assertion that starting with a cold pan with each iteration proved to be largely true. Whether you start cold or progressively move up in temperature is really irrelevant. The pan is going to gain heat in direct proportion to the amount of heat applied to it over time. Anyway, I started with a cold pan on the first go round, here are the results;

GE Profile gas cooktop, 10,000 btu burner, 12" Victoria cast iron pan, thin layer of avocado oil. Used a Thermoworks IR_IND infrared gun for readings;

Progressive readings without cooling down the pan;

Low - ~7-8 min preheat - 180* @center - <-50*> avg @edge
        Medium - ~ 7-8 min preheat - 380* @ center - <-80*> avg @edge
        High - ~ 6 min preheat - 650* @ center - <0*> change at edge

Pan was screaming hot on high and beginning to get a little wonky, smoke filling the kitchen, so I shut it down. Could have probably gained quite a bit more heat, but I would never cook that hot indoors, even searing, just too much smoke.

Readings from a cooled down start - pan cooled to about 100* between readings;

Low - ~7-8 min preheat - 205* @center - <-65*> avg @edge
        Medium - ~7-8 min preheat - 400* @center - <-75*> avg @edge
        High - ~ 6-7 min preheat - 645* @center - <-10*> avg @edge

Again pan heavily smoking and getting screaming hot, so I shut it down at the final reading.

Numbers seemed pretty consistent for my type of cooktop and the CI pan I use. Still not sure what this tells us but here's some raw data for you to chew on Meathead.
        Last edited by Troutman; December 14, 2018, 09:06 AM.

Comment

My results
          Pan: 10" Lodge Cast Iron Skillet well seasoned with a light coating of vegetable oil
          Stove: Thermador gas burner with a star pattern, don't know the BTUs. Measured temp at dead center of pan and at the edge above one of the arms of the star, about 1/2 in from the side wall of the pan

Low heat (called "Sim" on dial)
          At exactly 5 minutes - 208 degrees in center, 200 at the edge above one of the flames
          At 8 minutes - 262 degrees in center, 250 at edge
          At 10 minutes - 290 degrees in center, 273 at the edge

Medium heat - after letting pan cool to just below 100 degrees before turning burner back on
          At 5 minutes - 473 degrees in center, 528 at the edge
          At 5 minutes, 30 seconds - 512 in center, 530 at the edge.

At 5:30, the pan started smoking too much, so I stopped the test. I was also suprised on medium that the edges were hotter than the center based on the prelim results. I guess because I took the temp basically over the flame, that was heating quicker?
          Last edited by shify; December 14, 2018, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            look at your flame pattern. most ranges spread tge flame out wider the hotter you go due to the line pressure.

• shify
            shify commented
            Editing a comment
            Curiosity got the best of me, so attempted to test on high heat. After 3 1/2 minutes, the pan started smoking, so I cut the heat and took the temp. 500 degrees in the center and 650 at the edge above the flame

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            The flame spread on my largest burner is about 6-7". You used a 10" pan which means your outer edges would probably heat up more than the center if you had a similar flame spread. I had the opposite problem with my 12" pan, the middle was hotter than the edges (see my data above).

Whirlpool glasstop I didn't cool the pan between temp changes 72 center 69 edge o "lo" 126 c. 116 e. med. lo
          338 c. 305 e. med. 680 c. 595 e. med.hi 752 c. 640 e. hi
          kitchen was very smokey! may have to do a bit of reseasoning.
          btw I hate this stove,can't wait to get plumbed for gas!

Comment

Just did a 12” stargazer pan on the largest gas burner I have. On high that topped out at 575 and reached equilibrium there (took 6+ minutes). The finex 12 reached 550 by five minutes and keeps climbing over 600 so I have to abort to keep the house smoke free.

I guess the stargazer has more surface area for heat to escape.

Comment

So far I have concluded ya’ll need a huge exaust fan on "high" or a good divorce lawyer.....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here