Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XR50 or Fireboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have never owned a Fireboard, but I used to have the Tappecue. The graphing, ability to monitor from anywhere via wifi, etc. we cool, and I'm sure Fireboard is top notch. But for what I do with it, the XR-50 is more than adequate. I already have a BBQ Guru device, so fan control isn't a factor for me. If I didn't have the PartyQ, then I would lean toward the Fireboard, since the cost would be comparable to XR-50 + PartyQ.

Comment

I have Firebird and love it...highly recommend!!

Comment

just ordered an xr50 and a et732, got free overnight shipping.......and a coozie! will have multiple cookers going at the same time thursday and my gmg's factory installed probe is really unreliable. this thread reminded me to get it taken care of!

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't hear much love for the ol' ET732 anymore, but they were my old standby for a long time, I still use 'em too.

• painter
          painter commented
          Editing a comment
          The 732 is the only temp device I've ever owned. I think of it as Joe Friday. "Just the facts, ma'am."

• dahcopilot
          dahcopilot commented
          Editing a comment
          may sound stupid, but the idea was to not have any confusion over which receiver went to which grill

Wow, thank you all for the responses! I am leaning towards the fireboard strictly for the graphing and note taking capabilities. I'm still struggling with the price tag though, and if I do buy it, it's only a matter of time before I buy a fan controller $$$.
        The XR-50 is a lot cheaper and it does its job. Unfortunately this thread hasn't made my decision any easier!

Comment

Your problem is an apples to oranges comparison when you already have MCS. You are in a 'what if I hadn't' spot and already know you'll buy a controller some day.

So, you needed help and here it is. Buy the fireboard because you won't regret having it. It's the same as buying a G class when you could have bought a Wrangler.

Comment

goosebr160 It sounds like it's in your budget to buy the FB or you wouldn't be considering it. My advice- get the FB. Then a few months later or a year from now you can get the XR50 for those times when you don't need the FB and just want an extra, simpler, device. Always easier if your second MCS purchase is, by comparison, much cheaper!

Comment

• goosebr160
              goosebr160 commented
              Editing a comment
              Haha, very true. I was just reading ABCs faqs on the XR-50 though and started leaning that way. Yes, I can afford the Fireboard, but could I spend that extra $100 more wisely? Perhaps on other accessories or meat? I could get a nice holiday prime rib for $100. Let's be real though. I'll probably buy the Fireboard and the prime rib. I'll just take it out of the kid's Christmas fund. 🤣

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              goosebr160 Sounds like your priorities are in order

I have the Fireboard and a Viper fan. Used to run multiple 732s. Also had a digiq.

Comment

used my new thermometers yesterday, the xr50 is awesome. 2 surprises; the thermometer in the lid of my weber is pretty accurate, and the probes on the xr50 and the et732 are not interchangeable. that stinks.

Comment

My Fireboard session disconnected 4 or 5 times yesterday. It didn’t effect my cook at all and it continued to show the temperatures of the pit and probes. However, when I was done I looked at the sessions and it had restarted a new sesdion every 45 minutes or so. I hope this is due to their servers being overloaded. Did anyone else experience this?

Comment

• Rod
                  Rod commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I didn't. However, I checked them in ice water the night before and would get a "no activity" display on the monitor a few times. Tried multiple probes and channels. Other than that, no issues.

Does anyone know if you can run multiple xr50 units close to each other? With a 732 and an older one, I had to start one at a time and resync them everytime.

Comment

Late to the conversation ..... BUT I’ve had a Fireboard for 2 years now. It’s a true workhorse that will stand up to anything you throw at it. Once, for the hell of it, my wife fired up the Hasty-Bake, got the FB going, and put a chicken on to cook. While I was flying home from Orange COunty. I was able to monitor the whole cook on my Fireboard app via the airplane’s WiFi ..... yeah, the app and the cloud are rock solid. :-)

Here’s my review of the FB when I first got it and then tons of data added to the review over time by myself and others.

The Fireboard is pretty killer.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-the-fireboard

Update: I’ve never had a disconnect problem whatsoever. The fact that I now have 2 years of cooking data permanently stored is awesome. I’m a Maverick fan. My first true digital thermometer was the ET-732 and I used it for years and loved it. But it’s not the Fireboard.

So, here’s my advice. Get the absolute best that you can afford. Don’t skimp. Because in a few months you are going to want more.
                  Last edited by ecowper; November 23, 2018, 10:03 PM.

Comment

When I First Joined The AR's "PIT MASTER CLUB", I Didn't Own A Decent Thermometor‼️ After Figuring Out That While Some Of The Members Were A Little Shaky None Seemed Prticularil Malicious❓❗️❓ My Purchase Was A Maverick Et 733 2 Probe Leave In Thermometor👍👍‼️👍👍 Next I Needed A ThermoPen Classic Instant Read By Thermowerks, Eunice Leaves It On The Counterm 24/7, I Don't Beat
                    Her Enough❓‼️❓ My "BUDDIES OF THE PIT" By Then Had Their Hands In My Pockets Continueousl Shucking Out For This And That‼️❓‼️ All The While They Would Offer Assurances On "THE GOOD DEA" I Next Had Just Made❓‼️❓ Next Was The OPPORTUNITY TO PURCHASE A SLIGHTLY USED BBQGURU DIGI-Q DX-2 TEMP CONTROL" And Pit Viper Fan‼️❓‼️ Very Nice And Function Too, I Can't Remember The Coct❓❗️❓ Then Came The 6 Probe FireBord Control With The Optional Fan Control Cable‼️❓‼️ Along With A Sries Of Thermowerks Dots And Other Open Box Specills, I Had To Acquire A DH-4, 4 Ptobe WIFI TransmitAble DH-4 By @ABBaebecue.Com‼️❓‼️ This's My Story And I'm Sticking To It‼️❗️‼️ I Should Add That IMLTHOP ALL OF THE PRODUCTS MENTIONES HERE, I CONSIDER TOP OF THE LINE
                    FITST RATE THAE I WOULD RECCOMEND TO YOU OR ANYONE ELSE‼️❓‼️👍
                    Ftom A Backyard Cremator In Fargo ND Dan
                    Last edited by Danjohnston949; November 24, 2018, 07:52 PM.

Comment

• MBMorgan
                      MBMorgan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You da Dan, man! ... or somthin’ like that ...

• dahcopilot
                      dahcopilot commented
                      Editing a comment
                      AR is a rabbithole

So I decided to hold off on this purchase and think about it for a bit since my kitchen has been under construction and I haven't had the prep space or fridge space required for smoking. I finally made my decision and ordered yesterday. Every year, I get a Christmas card from my work with a $100 gift card in it. This year, it came with $250. I took that as a sign from the BBQ God's and used it to purchase the FireBoard! It should be arriving Saturday, just in time for me to be able to use my kitchen again!

Comment

• Rod
                      Rod commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You will love the Fireboard.

I got a XR50 for Christmas 2018. I am in the middle of the third cook using it. While doing some detective work on my Party Q I decided to add the second pit probe next to probe one. Currently there is a 16 degree difference between the two. Probe two is closer to the ET372 I added to the mix.

Does anyone make a thermometer that can consistently report the temp accurately? Afterall, this is 2019.
                    Last edited by ken g; March 16, 2019, 05:19 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
                      Spinaker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Never had a problem with my FB probes, they are just about spot on. Do a water test and see which one is right.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here