Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Might have solve a problem with the Maverick probes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might have solve a problem with the Maverick probes

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0385.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	59299 I have read here on this forum and other forums where people was having problems with the Maverick Redi-Chek probes of shorting out due to moisture getting inside the probe. So back in the summer I order a gasket and the gasket sealer from www.bbqgaskets.com for the WSM and I had some of the gasket sealer left and since it was supposed to withstand high heat and was food grade I came up with the ideal of putting some of it where the cable enters the probe. I did this on Saturday and did a 8 hour cook on Sunday. The cooker temp was between 225-250 and was a little over 300 while heating the cooker up and the sealer hold up great. What are your thoughts on this ideal?

I love this idea! WTG man!

Comment

DW,
      I did this about a month ago with my probes. It's a must in my opinion. I have always had issues with Mavericks in the past, but I learned on here that it was moisture from cleaning, cooking etc. I saw on a different thread where someone did this same thing. Mine has held up great so far. No Probelms. FYI I used, Silicone RTV-6500 High Temperature Silicone Sealant. Says its good up to 500 F continuous. Its worked well so far. Great post, I know this is a problem for a lot of people.

-John

Comment

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        I just knew this ideal has been taken, dang. But anyway Spinnaker I was kinda worrying about the sealer harden up and breaking but actually it's very flexible after it dries.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        DW,
        The kind that I used said that it has 20% movement after curing. So I'm guessing that has something to do with the elasticity of the silicone.

Great idea!

Comment

RTV from the automotive world, just saying...that stuff holds up great.

Comment

Originally posted by chudzikb View Post
          RTV from the automotive world, just saying...that stuff holds up great.
          Permatex® Ultra Copper® Maximum Temperature RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

OEM specified. For high operating temperatures common in 4-cylinder, turbocharged or high-performance engines. The most advanced, high temp RTV silicone gasket available. Sensor-safe, low odor, noncorrosive. Superior adhesion. Three times more oil resistant than conventional silicones; eight times more flexible than cut gaskets. Temperature range -65°F to 700°F (-54°C to 371°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids and vibration.

M

-Make sure you use the high temp version...

Comment

• chudzikb
            chudzikb commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes sir, that would be the high end product. Works very well...

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here