Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermapen vs Thermapop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermapen vs Thermapop

Is the price of the Thermapen worth it over the Thermapop?

Depends, I have friends with the thermapen and have used it several times, I find it works as fast as the AR review says, really cool. I have the thermopop which was a gift when I first got my new smoker. I love it, it is very accurate, I use it to verify the accuracy of my probes. The AR review states 4 seconds from 212 to 32, mine makes big jumps quickly but seems to take a little extra at the end. I just tested from room temp to 32 and it took close to 6 seconds, I think this time would be the same from room temp or boiling. For the money though, is 2-4 seconds worth it? When I was out checking temps in 20 degree weather if I want to probe the 4 things on there it is gonna take maybe half a minute longer and my temps will spike a bit more, but not that bad.
    The backlight is kind of annoying if you cook at night a lot, it only stays lit for 10 seconds, so if you have 2 pieces of meat to probe you won't be able to see the second. Pushing the button for more light actually turns it off, you have to turn it back on to get the light. So, if checking several temps in the dark, you're now probably closer to a minute longer than with the thermapen.
    I use mine for everything I cook, so I will probably get the thermapen, but I will always keep a thermopop to use everyday and take with me when I travel. Not that I typically travel with a thermometer, but yesterday the eating was 2 hours away from the cooking, I wanted to make sure the meat was all good and had to do some burgers when I got there and he didn't have one.

Comment

Short answer for me is NO their not. That said I own 2 thermapens and like them very much.
      Last edited by Jon Solberg; February 1, 2015, 12:07 PM.

Comment

The thermapen is the best most important cooking device I own. I use it indoors and outdoors. Its really important for bread baking too. I've had many other cheap versions of thermometers like the Taylor but the faster speed and reliability of the thermapen is worth the extra money in my opinion.

Comment

Don't have a thermopop, but if my thermapen ever goes down, I'll be ordering another thermapen to replace it. When MH describes it as the cadillac of digitals, he's spot on. Love the speed and accuracy.

Comment

Damn.... No one is making this easy ;-)

Comment

Thermapop will do all anybody needs. I got my wife one.

I have a thermapen (gift), and would rather not use any other thermometer, of any sort, for the rest of my life.

Comment

I only have a pop, and love it. John above pretty much nails it when he asks if 2-4 seconds is worth the extra $$ IMO. The other thing the thermopen seems to have over the pop (from looking at pictures) is the thinner tip. Maybe it isn't that much thinner, but it looks like it. I think it may be a better tool for ribs and other meats that don't give you very much depth to pull a temp, however there are other techniques to tell if those cuts are ready.

For me the thermopop works well enough that I don't feel sad w/o a thermopen, I would rather save the extra money for other grilling accessories. (I can imagine my wifes expression if I told her I wanted to spend $100+ on a thermometer)

Comment

I have two Thermopens and a Thermopop. I never use the Thermopop.

Quit whining and pony up for a Thermopen. You will never look back!

Comment

Originally posted by Drbearsec View Post
                    Damn.... No one is making this easy ;-)

Its not easy. You can get 3 pop for the price of 1 pen. How much do you have to spend. If 100.00 is not an issue get the pen. Is it better? No, just a bit faster. Thats what it boils down too.

The important thing here is the temp. Not how fast you know it.

Comment

I have both, love and use them equally. I can't find a situation where I need to save 4 seconds though. I like the fact that the thermopen folds and I can put it in my pocket. But I also like the fact that the thermopop has a nice holder that you can slide it into to protect it. The tips are both the same size as far as I can tell. The thermopop is back lit and my thermopen is not .. so I tend to use the pop at night for that reason. Oh and I don't tell my wife exactly how much I spend on BBQ gear

Comment

• Marauderer
                        Marauderer commented
                        Editing a comment
                        But they do make the Thermopen in a back lit version. That is my second one.

• cdd315
                        cdd315 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That's true Barry they do make a backlit Thermopen now. At the time when I bought mine they were just coming out and I didn't want to swing the extra cost .. mainly since I didn't know how handy the backlit feature was.

BARRY! Thats harsh. hehehehehe [but true]

cdd, you are a smart man.

Comment

The old saying Jon is "The Truth Hurts"

Comment

I'll have to see the budget... I'd love to take advantage of the open box sale they are having.
                          Originally posted by Marauderer View Post
                          I have two Thermopens and a Thermopop. I never use the Thermopop. Quit whining and pony up for a Thermopen. You will never look back!

Comment

I have the thermopen an have brought one for both of my sons. They use it for everything including simmering temp inside. And bread.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here