Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on the new ThermoWorks "Signals" 4-probe Thermometer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Given that I can get a Fireboard with a full set of 8 probes for $10 more than the Themoworks Signals plus a Fireboard can act as a fan controller if you add the cable and a fan, the Signals doesn't seem like a very good deal.

The XR50 seems like a much better value for the money if you don't need the cloud or wifi capability.

My dream product would be one with at least 4 channels, big display like the Signals/XR50, fan control option, wifi/app/cloud logging/graphing capability, professional/commercial build quality (like ThermaQ) and the ability to use type K thermocouples.

Comment

Oh Thermoworks sells the colored silicone rings included with the Signals separately so you can use them with other Thermoworks probe thermometers or other brands like the Fireboard.

Specializing in cool, unique and professional temperature tools. Super-Fast thermocouples, thermistors, infrared thermometers, data logging and more.

Comment

Upside to this is that it is Thermoworks. Also, the ergonomics of the device are great .... large display, unlike Fireboard, and how the controller can be set up.

On the other hand, Fireboard can run 6 probes for the same price. I’ve used all 6 probes and almost broke out the ET-732 because I felt like two more probes would help. On top of that, Fireboard can drive a fan/controller.

For the price, only 4 probes and no PID/fan seems a bit costly.
        Last edited by ecowper; November 24, 2018, 01:09 PM.

Comment

I am debating between the Thermoworks signals and the thermoworks smoke with the wifi adapter. Can the thermoworks signals be accessed any where that I can get an internet connection? For example if I am out at the store and have something cooking at home can I check to see the temperatures?

What is a better thermometer the signals or the smoke?

Thanks

Comment

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            Honestly wish I could help... I use the Thermoworks ThermaQ WiFi for such things. Which is great BTW...and linked to one of the iPads...I can "keep an eye" on the smoker/WSCGC/whatever with ease. (Also have two "old-skool" ThermaQ units "High Temp Armored" & "Meathead" for everything else...that also see regular use. All use the same probes.)

My advice: contact Thermoworks. They are VERY quick to respond...before and after sales.
            Last edited by surfdog; March 1, 2019, 06:11 PM. Reason: Edit for clarity & additional info.

I would not touch this with a barge pole. Dont get me wrong, great product but at the wrong price. Now I dont care about checking the grill temp when I am out of the house. If you desperately do care about that, then that is another issue. However when you can have 4 probes for less by buying two smokes, then the price of this thing is obviously mental.. just my 2c.

Comment

Originally posted by cstefan View Post
            My dream product would be one with at least 4 channels, big display like the Signals/XR50, fan control option, wifi/app/cloud logging/graphing capability, professional/commercial build quality (like ThermaQ) and the ability to use type K thermocouples.
            Yep, and if it existed, I don't suppose any of use would be pouring over all these posts! Oh, and keep it under $250, right?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here