Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on the new ThermoWorks "Signals" 4-probe Thermometer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on the new ThermoWorks "Signals" 4-probe Thermometer?

ThermoWorks has a 4-probe app-based version of the Smoke, which they call Signals. $229.99. Your phone or tablet is the receiver, but it's WiFi or Bluetooth.

Your thoughts?

Click image for larger version  Name:	ei.jpg Views:	1 Size:	34.7 KB ID:	585700Click image for larger version  Name:	ei2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	425.7 KB ID:	585701

Not sure but initial concern is just the WiFi or Bluetooth option.... and price.

Like the app based concept so you don’t have to carry around another device/screen.

Hate the Bluetooth connection because of the range issues.

Wifi option is viable if you are close enough to get wifi signal.

Could you daisy chain this with another device if needed to get signal?

I feel like Thermoworks keeps hitting all around the bullseye with coming up with a good BBQ thermometer but just can’t quite hit the bullseye when it comes to a device like this.

Also I haven’t seen the app yet... will it be able to graph and such?
    Last edited by Nate; October 30, 2018, 06:15 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Then you're going to have issues with any WiFi based device like the Fireboard which relies solely on WiFi.

• Bogy
      Bogy commented
      Editing a comment
      Nate You asked about a "daisy chain" to get a signal. If you have a device you can use as a hot spot, you can link to that. If you had a stand alone hot spot, or a tablet to use as a hot spot, that would give you the wifi connection. You obviously can't use the phone you are going to use to monitor the signal as that hot spot. At least I don't think that would work.

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Bogy thanks.
      Troutman that is why I haven’t spent much time looking at Fireboard even though I like the concept. Probably will just end up with the Maverick.
      Thanks guys.

The 2nd graphic says it can graph. I agree, price is too high... nearly Fireboard price but only 4 probes.

My personal (non-AmazingRibs.com) opinion is for the price go Fireboard and get 6 probes, or for 4 probes go Maverick XR50 for $90.

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree.

I was going to say in my post that for a $150 price difference I will get Dave’s Maverick and give up graphing and carry a second device.

Just reread it and saw the graphing comment.

Looks pretty cool...but it won’t be replacing my ThermaQ or ThermaQ WiFi.

Having used several of their products, I’d have to consider it if I didn’t already have a pit thermometer. Though I have to say, I much prefer the probes on the ThermaQ.

Comment

That’s a lot of money to just know the temperature of your food. Bells and whistles have a cost, and I think this might have gone over it.

Comment

I was really excited when they teased the launch on Instsgram, but now a little disappointed. Three things I don’t like:

1. Price, seems way to high, even taking into account great Thermoworks build quality.

2. No standalone receiver like Smoke.

3. Rechargable battery with "up to" 16 hours. I’ve had my Smoke for over a year and never had to replace batteries.

Like Nate said, they keep hitting around the bullseye...

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          It's WiFi based so you have your phone as a receiver, not unlike the Fireboard.

I usually need 2-4 probes and want to be able to see the temps wherever I'm at around my house. Having a receiver sitting near me is good enough. My XR-50 receiver works everywhere in my house (Smoke doesn't) and I can take it to the lawn if needed. I recently had ~3 days when the ThermoWorks Smoke gateway/app stopped working due to 3rd party server issues which reminded me that remote monitoring, graphs, etc was fun & nice but not necessary for me. I use my XR-50 almost all the time and I like that the probes are hybrid and waterproof. I have no interest in the Signals, especially at $239.99!

Comment

• Nate
          Nate commented
          Editing a comment
          Very well said.

I think they are CLOSE but missed the mark, especially on price.

For $239 its a lot more than my 2 channel Smoke + the Wifi gateway, and appears to NOT include a remote display, which I find useful if I don't want to keep my phone on me and am at the house. Graphs are cool, but I'm don't sit there watching it on my phone like I do the dedicated Smoke remote when I am doing other stuff around the house.

I think they should have offered this in the $149 to $179 price range, and it would be considered a hit. $239 is way too much with it not offering a dedicated remote display, and not offering stuff like fan control. They also need to do something about making all their pro series probes waterproof. I've killed several of them now, and have learned I just gotta be super careful when cleaning to not get that critical junction of wire to probe wet AT ALL.

Comment

I would have thought they would have come out with a promotional introductory price, to get some units out there. Considering the almost constant deals they run, I would expect some great prices to be coming soon, and at that time I'll think about it. I wouldn't pay the $240. $40 more than my Smoke and gateway, no radio receiver, for the 2 extra probes. Does have a backlight, which is a plus.

I'll be interested in what people experience for battery life. After year I still have the original batteries in my Smoke, and even the gateway has only been recharged once, and it didn't necessarily need it then, but when they were having the issues with the third party server (and before I knew that was what the problem was) I recharged the unit just in case that was the problem.

Comment

Like most have said I wish it was a bit cheaper. My guess is we will see the price drop to closer to $200-210 during the holidays. Thermoworks usually has some decent holiday deals.

I love the 4 probes especially for when I load up the Ranch with multiple cuts. I did 4 pork butts a couple weeks back and they all ran at different temps. Would have been nice to have a couple more probes to track them. I almost always have my phone on me so not having the stand alone receiver isn't a big deal for me.

At some point I will probably pick one up but it won't be today. If it were $200? I would at least be thinking about it.

Comment

I agree. If you gonna spend in the $200 range, Fireboard offers all of that and lot more.

Comment

I really like what appears to be a very solid unit from Thermoworks. WIFI is great to have and I love using it with my Fireboard. There are a few things that I do like about this unit.

1) Large Display. It would be nice to be able to look over at the thermo base and be able to read the screen from a distance, instead of having to scroll through the tiny FireBoard screen. You can see the labeled food, temps, limits and the screen is backlit. All big positives in my book.
                2) I like how the probes are color coded. That makes it sooo much easier. That is a complaint I have with the FireBoard, especially when you have all six probes in the mix. Things can get a bit confusing.
                3) I like how the probes hook into the side of the unit so it will sit up straight. The FireBoard has to be laid down on its back, which isn't a huge deal because you can always look at your phone. But it can be a trying to get it to sit flat on a table and stay there.
                4) Lastly, you have the backing of Thermoworks. Everything I have from them is top notch and I know they stand behind their products. (not hat FireBoard doesn't, but Thermoworks is 1st rate, IMHO)

All in all this is a good looking product. It is pricey and does not have the controller option either, but this looks like an awesome unit.

Comment

I'll take one for $100.

Comment

I can buy a lot of meat for $240 and when I need to know the internal temp of that meat I have a Thermapen for that. I'd get a lot more excited at the butcher shop spending $240! Sure is a fancy technical looking thing though!

Comment

• Bogy
                      Bogy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You don't really need a rig as fancy as what's in your avatar to cook meat either. You could have bought a kettle on Craigslist, some charcoal, and had lots left over for meat.

• Spinaker
                      Spinaker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Not a bad thought, my friend.

As they state, for competion BBQ teams, pros ect.. at this price it's all theirs. I can find a lot of things to aquire for $240 and this is not one of them. Like the techy stuff, but nope.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here