Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frying Oil Thermometer Truth or Dare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frying Oil Thermometer Truth or Dare

I am planning my first fried chicken cook on my Weber Spirit II 310 gasser. I have read Meathead’s reviews and recommendations on thermometers but still can’t settle on what hot oil thermometer to purchase. Do any of you Fried Chicken Experts have a recommendation of what thermometer I should buy that has a successful track record for longevity and temperature accuracy?

As to the Truth or Dare subject line my intent was to inquire how important is it to get a true temperature reading when frying chicken or do I dare to fry it in the oil without a thermometer?

Thank’s to all of you Chicken Colonel’s out there for your help in my thermometer selection and any other advice that will make this cook finger licking good.
    Last edited by WVsmoke; October 15, 2018, 06:05 PM. Reason: Clarifying intented meaning of the subject line.

This is a great multi - function thermometer with a great reputation:

Specializing in cool, unique and professional temperature tools. Super-Fast thermocouples, thermistors, infrared thermometers, data logging and more.

I love mine.

Comment

• WVsmoke
      WVsmoke commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a Thermo Pro TP-20 and it will register up to 572F. Does anyone know if I could use those probes in hot oil? Many thanks for taking time to help.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      WVsmoke - I don't see any reason why not - just keep the units out of spatter range.

• WVsmoke
      WVsmoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Heard back from the Thermo Pro folks. Indeed you can use their TP-20 in this application but be sure the base of the probe does not come in contact with the hot oil.

Do ya think it’s necessary? I saw it somewhere that you squeeze the area between yer thumb & index finger.................oh wait a minute, yer fryin...............never mind.

Comment

I use my water proof XR 50 Maverick probes

Comment

I use whatever is handy. The thermo works dot inside with pot clip and usually just spot check it with the thermapen outside if I’m too lazy to get the fry thermometer or the dot. Since the pen reads in 3 seconds and I don’t have to leave it in I just check between each batch of food. Also handy to probe the actual food. No sense in overcooking anything even while frying.

I’ve also tried the IR thermo but it tends to read the pan bottom or just oil surface etc. I don’t trust it for oil temp.

Comment

I use my Thermapen or a Inferred Thermo. I would like to get one of those Thermoworks rigs that RonB is talking about. If I fried more, I would probably have one.

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            I use mine for lots of things because it was my first leave in thermometer.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I bet it works great for frying. Especially having the timer right there. Must be handy. RonB

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            You are correct Sir!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here