Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would I be crazy to pre order The Meater Block?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would I be crazy to pre order The Meater Block?

Reviews are good for the single probe. The block (4 probes) is $200 for pre order. $270 if I wait. Who here is currently using one?

Click image for larger version

Name:	block.jpg?t=1530558948.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	567661

Comment

UH-OH!!!
      Responses in 3---2---1!!!

Comment

I'd give it another year.

Comment

This is a joke, right?

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            No! The singles are shipping on demand!

I don't know I could just get a single. Truth is I've been having my maverick sit on the sideline when using my Primo XL and just using my DigiQ and MK4.

Comment

I was an initial backer for the 4 probe Meater block. That was back before they met their initial goal. (3 years ago or so). I still haven't received it yet even though they are supposed to be shipping.

Run far, far away.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Damn. How can they ship on demand if they haven't met their backers? ckreef

• Pequod
              Pequod commented
              Editing a comment
              This is the problem with MEATER. I have and use a single probe. I like it. But I CANNOT understand how they can stiff their backers while I bought mine 9 months ago as a non-backer. Good probe. Bad business.

• JGrana
              JGrana commented
              Editing a comment
              Same here. Early backer of the block and 2 probes. 3 years ago as well.
              No block, no probes, no nothing...
              In the meantime I have purchased the Fireboard. Works great, love the Wifi connectivity.
              Not sure what I will do if/when the Meater stuff arrives...

Directly from Meater on 8/22:

"A small batch of MEATER Blocks were shipped last week and should already be in the hands of our earliest backers. The last hurdle we had to clear was obtaining our compliance certifications and now that we have them, we will ship units as they trickle in from the factory.

Just like with the single unit MEATERs, we are producing small production batches and will continue to increase the scale and pace of production. We’re being cautious with our production process so that we can be sure each and every Block produced meets our high standards of quality.

In the coming months, we’ll ramp up production to larger batches so that we can fulfill all of our pledges and pre-orders before the end of the year. We will ship Blocks starting with the earliest backers. This means we will start shipping units to Kickstarter backers first, followed by Indiegogo, and then meater.com customers."

I hope to have mine, (ordered through Kickstarter), before the end of the year. Someone here has a friend who has his Block. I hope that member will chime in.

Comment

Hope springs eternal. The quest for a wireless solution. When will it be reality?

Comment

I wouldn’t touch it.

Comment

When the food becomes tender and the probe falls out and the part that’s supposed to stay inside the food is exposed to 200F-375F+ degrees, how long does it last?

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
                    BriggsBBQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Or it just falls out and lands on the fire for rotisserie or hanging ribs in a PBC style.

• Pequod
                    Pequod commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Have used mine in rotisserie many times. It has never "just fallen out".

I'll wait to see how others like it first. But I love the idea and I suspect it'll be very useful to me.

Comment

• Attjack
                    Attjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Seems like people generally like it. You can get the single now from Amazon with 2 day shipping. 65% five star rating. 23% 1 star. Not much in between.

• Bumby
                    Bumby commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I hear you. I'll wait until the 23% 1 star reviews drop (seems like wireless connectivity is the issue) and there are reviews on the Block. To me, having one isn't that useful if I'm used to cooking several different kinds of meat at once.

• BriggsBBQ
                    BriggsBBQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The more I cook the less I use thermometers. The difference between 225-275 smoking has not been material in my book. More about pulling it off when it is ready which has been more of the feel of the meat rather than temp.

This is a great idea, and in my opinion, the future of meat probes. They need to get their production issues figured out. You better bet that Thermoworks, Mav and others are surely developing something similar.

Comment

If and when mine arrives I am considering selling it in the unopened shipping box. If I do it'll be a good deal for someone. This situation has just rubbed me the wrong way. I've lived this long without it I can probably go the rest of my life never missing it.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
                      BriggsBBQ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Maybe post a youtube video showing how long it takes to dissolve in acid.

• Potkettleblack
                      Potkettleblack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Basically, my experience as a backer of Nomiku. I don't back anything anymore where they don't have production lined up and a functional production prototype.

Patience grasshopper!

"Shortcuts make for long delays."

Comment

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh what a wise and powerful message that is Homes !!!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here