Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What temp gauges are being used on the competition trail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What temp gauges are being used on the competition trail

I have been using thermopop gauges at home but I am looking tk get a second set for my smokers to leave on my Competition trailer... I see a lot of cool gadgets out there but notice quickly some need to be plugged in or they get costly... Really just need to spot check both meat and pit temps.

The Thermoworks Thermapen is the king of fast spot checks for food. But there are plenty of good ones out there. All of my pit probes are wired. Run through AR's reviews for ideas.

Comment

Thermopen had a sale going
      yes that’s the most popular
      the Dot units are nice for tracking each meat while it cooks

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Anyone use the dot for monitoring the pit?

• Thom Emery
        Thom Emery commented
        Editing a comment
        yes I'm sure that use is happening

Attjack i started with a Dot and an extra air probe a couple of years ago, on my offset. I would just switch the wire from the meat and pit probes back and forth as needed to monitor the two, until I got a Smoke. I still use the Dot if I have a second smoker going. Pretty much at this point I know where the pit temp runs, and how hot the grate level is for a given dome temp reading, and focus on meat temp most.
      Dot is great for that. For pit, it has only a high alarm and no low alarm, if you can live with that.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack I would not put the Dot itself on my dome. I was thinking that either the 4" or 6" Thermoworks probe could be inserted into the hole the Weber thermometer normally inserts into. On the older Weber kettle and Genesis I have, the dome thermometer has a 4" long stem that inserts through a small hole, and I am thinking I could stick the Thermoworks cabled probe into that same hole.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris I want to replace the stock dome thermometer with something that measures the temp at the grate. I would actually prefer to keep the stock analog thermometer on my 26 and somehow extend/replace the probe so that it was a flexible wire and clip that I could position where I wanted it on the grate. But as of yet, I'm not sure how or even if I can do that. So I'm entertaining other ideas.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        One alternative idea i'm kicking around is fashioning a heat shield for the Dot and affixing it the dome.

The Dots are a good choice for inexpensive monitoring. Get them in different colors and it will be easy to assign different colors to different tasks.

And yes, I have used one to monitor pit temps using the supplied probe. Just make a ball out of foil and stick the probe through the ball to keep the tip off the grill.
      Last edited by RonB; September 13, 2018, 09:18 AM.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        You mean dots?

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes - that should have been Dot...

Edited - thanx

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I might get one for my kitchen oven.

I generally use the Smoke to track the temps and then my Thermopop to spot check things as they are getting near the end of the cook. I have a DOT as well but that mostly gets used inside. When I am cooking multiple hunks of meat I will sometimes use the DOT to make sure nothing gets out of control. If you are by the cookers most of the time like you would be in a competition a handful of DOTs could be a good way to go.

Comment

Mavrick and a dot here.

Comment

I think there are two currents of ideas running thru this thread - digital instant reads and analog dials. I do the former out of China, so will keep that to myself. I do the latter at top dollar from the good ole' US. Grainger's are KING! It is SO cool to use the 90 degree offset to position the gauge for optimum view and the dials can be easily calibrated. I have one, unused, left, so PM me if you want it. Check out that reach to the grate!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Grainger 1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	566146

Name:	Grainger 2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	566147

Comment

I'm thinking I want to make something like this.

Name:	jenzNqe.png
Views:	166
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	566317

​​​​​​​

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here