Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Impressed with the Thermapen MK4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impressed with the Thermapen MK4

I finally pulled the trigger on a Thermapen. I've been pretty satisfied with the Thermopop, I have three of those. But the weight, the size, the rubber grip, the build quality, the improved performance, and the fact that the Thermapen has no need for buttons makes it well worth the purchase price.

I went with blue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mailchimp-popup.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	561847

I agree. I was in the exact same boat. Had the T-Pop for a long time, thought $25 (at the time) was plenty to spend, don't need no hunnit dolla thermometer. Bought a few T-Pops as gifts for family. Then I finally got a T-pen and I love it too. It's definitely the Ferrari of instant reads. You don't need a Ferrari, but I suppose once you have one you'll use it before the others. It really shines when you have several pieces of meat to temp, especially steaks or burgers that can pass the perfect doneness quickly.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Incidentally I also just upgraded my chimney starters here in Oregon (I upgraded the cabin one this year too). I bought the large and small versions. I mention this because you told me they were worth it, and you were right! Just broke in the little one last night. Great match for my Jumbo Joe.

The jelly beans were pretty good too.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      O, yeah, Baby!
      Th jelly beans are always good!

I have the same one. I have no idea if it was worth the $80 I spent on it, but it does the job and I don't have to burn my hands or wear gloves while waiting for a slow "instant read" thermometer to give me a reading. I like that it folds up and you can use it from different angles. The automatic backlight and auto-rotate readout are also nice features.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      To put it in perspective, I bought a Palermo brand instant read, jack knife style just like the Tpen. It was very accurate and pretty fast, cost about $20. I was convinced the T-pen was too costly. Then after 2 years, the Palermo one split in half suddenly when I opened it. I realized then with the Thermapen you're paying for longevity, pure build quality. It will hold up for years & years.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I've had our original since at least 2010, probably 2008. Super product, and great customer support.

Well, y'all sold me. My wife just told me (while talking about chicken temps) that I need to get a good one instead of the cheap one I've been happy with. So I guess I'll go buy one...

Comment

I just got the purple one. I had a cheap jackknife type before, I can't believe the weight and speed of the MK4. Got it on sale, worth every penny. I love that it is quick and accurate, and easier to get readings across the depth of the meat.

wife got the jellybeans....

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I only got two of the jelly beans. She got the rest.

Love the jelly beans. The thermometer ain’t bad either! Seriously, I use my MK4 all the time. Love it.

Comment

I never had th original, but I have 3 MK4's, use em alla th time, an would highly, lavishly recommend them to anyone!
      I also gots 3 Thermopops, they see constant use, as well.

None of th above has ever given me any kinda guff, or let me down.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I keep a Thermopop in the drawer next to my kitchen stove. I have one at the cabin (although I figure I'll probably pack my MK4 when traveling down that way). That leaves one "extra" Thermopop the red headed stepchild (all the others are blue).
        Last edited by Attjack; September 5, 2018, 10:04 PM.

Its on my wishlist... When I get some coin kickin around, I am gettin one

Comment

Got mine over a year ago and absolutely love it. I particularly notice how useful it is when I'm cooking a lot of pieces of meat (chicken thighs or bacon chunks, for instance). I have two family members who I'll be giving Thermapens for the holidays...

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I bought one for my brother and one for my daughter. She says it's completely changed her cooking results. Him? He's the strong, silent type!

• Bumby
          Bumby commented
          Editing a comment
          That's the hope. Knowing my father, this could revolutionize his game.

I've got the light blue MK4 and love it. Got it on sale, I think 20% off. I use it for casseroles, baked potatoes, reheating anything and of course the BBQ or smoker.

Comment

I have the Maverick version and luv it it was like 80 bucks

Comment

I Bought The ThermoPen Classic After Deciding That Many "PIT CLUB MEMBERS WOULDN"T LIE TO ME"❓❗️❓ I Was In The Nursing Home At The Time Recouping From "MY BASEMENT DIVING
            EXPERIMENT"❓❓❓ "Hell Of A Good Flight❗️ P--S Poor Lnding‼️ The ThermoPen Classic Has Just Kept On Ticking‼️ ‼️ ‼️
            🤗 😇 🤗
            From A Backyard Cremator In Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Hi There!

I have been using ThermoPens for years, I think that I have had every model they have made and they just keep making them better! I wish that I received a commission for everyone that I have been directly or indirectly been responsible for being sold, I bet it would be at least 100 of them!! Family, friends, friends of friends etc.

They make an option for the T-pens that I highly recommend, that is the silicone boot, and the reason I like it so much is that it has 2 magnets in it so the T-pen will stick to my stove back or on the side of my fridge. See picture attached.

I also recommend their 'Extra Big & Loud Timer', as it counts up as well as the usual counting down.

Great company and great service!!
              Attached Files

Comment

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                I need that bot, Of course then I would forget what I stuck the thing to...

I have the Smoke and didn't want to spend another $100 on a fast read. I'm thinking about the new ProNeedle as it's a third of the cost of the Thermapen. Has anyone looked into the ProNeedle vs a Thermapen/pop? https://www.thermoworks.com/proneedle

Comment

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                I would think anything from these folks is good.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here