Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Beloved Fireboard Went Caput !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's confusing, this Thermistor vs. RTD thing with respect to the Fireboard unit itself. I get the fact that if a thermistor probe is plugged into an RTD-set port (or vice versa) the temperature readout might not be accurate.

But do the FAQs answer the question whether to do so may do possible permanent damage to the Fireboard unit itself or to the probes? I didn't see anything to that effect, but I sure would like to know the answer.

Kathryn

Comment

I don't know one way or the other fzxdoc, I was just speculating in my last comments. It probably has little to do with unit failure, but you know electronics, they can be very finicky. I just hope the variety of problems that have been occurring and posted here are relatively minor and not widespread. There really isn't anything on the market that does as much as the Fireboard overall. I'd hate to see close to a $400 (fan, fan cable, base unit, probes) investment on my part fail to perform.

Comment

Based on the following, the main difference between the various type of probes is the type of material used as the core for sensing the temperature. Of course there are cost and time response differences also. As such, using an RTD without changing the thermistor setting should only give you a bad reading but shouldn't hurt the FB.

Like all technologies, temperature sensors have evolved considerably over the years. Today, three core types are used across industry.
        Thermocouples: A thermocouple uses two metal wires to produce a voltage relative to the temperature present in the junction between them. There are many specialized kinds of thermocouples – they can combine different metals to measure various characteristics and temperature ranges, and produce specialized calibrations.

Resistance temperature detectors (RTDs): RTD sensor measures temperature based on the resistance changes in a metal resistor inside. The most popular RTDs, called PT100 sensors, use platinum and have a resistance of 100 ohms at 0°C.

Thermistors: A thermistor is like an RTD, but contains a ceramic or polymer resistor instead of metal.

Comment

That's exactly what the Fireboard tech told me, jlazar . I wrote and asked if any damage could be done by using the incorrect setting for a probe. I got this email from them this morning:
          Hi Kathryn,

No damage can be done. Just that your probe will read incorrectly, so we want to make sure the configuration is set to the probe you will be using on that specific channel.

Thanks,
          Andrea

Good to know. I've got a lot invested in the Fireboard as well and love how simple it is to use. I'd hate to see it compromised by something I had done.

Electronic failure is a given for most gizmos once in a while, so I'm not surprised to see the occasional probe and unit failures. Like Troutman , though, I hope it's only a small problem.

I did suggest, though, that they include instructions, whenever probes are purchased, about the setting in the Advanced Settings section of the app. I bought the Extreme BBQ package over a year ago and it came with the more pricey-to-fabricate RTD probes. A year later I bought Competition probes that are only sold in the thermistor design. The thermistor probes came in the mail without a peep from Fireboard about looking at the Advanced Settings on the app to change the port settings when using them. All they had was, on the website, a place for me to type in my Serial Number to verify that thermistor probes would work with my base unit before I purchased them.

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; October 3, 2018, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea amen to the instructions comment, I'm glad you mentioned that to them. They need to have some sort of printed manual or an online version that explains the various setting. It's not very complicated but can be a little intimidating if you don't know what a wayward click can do to your settings !!

Thanks Kathryn. I asked FB about the difference between the comp probes and the regular ones. They said: "As far as the competition and regular probes, they do the same readings, have the same sensors, are both thermistor but the competition probes are skinnier and come in two different lengths. It is really up to the customers preference on which they’d like".

To clarify for folks, that is two different probe lengths not wire/cable lengths.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Since Fireboard is still selling RTD probes, both food and ambient, they should clarify that a thermistor Competition food probe will have a different app probe setting than an RTD food probe. Also, the Competition food probes are straight whereas the regular food probes have that 90 degree bend to them off the cable coupling.

I like the lighter, skinnier Competition probes for some uses.

K.

IT’S BAAAAAACK. !!!!!! Bran spankin’ new unit, just in time for my monthly brisket cook !!!! Thanks FireBoard !!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	6F0A7FAA-785B-4F98-AA51-7FBC639AFC62.jpeg
Views:	405
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	575447

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Your avatar is looking happy!

Glad you got this solved.

Comment

I had some wild temp readings on mine. Switched channels, rebooted, and did the boil water test. They all registered perfect in water but not so much when out. Strange. The problem is fixed now but not sure what happened.
            Min totally confused on the probe setting stuff. If the ambient and two meat probes came with my FB shouldn’t it be the proper ones?

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Not necessarily, that's kind of the rub. I was given all thermistor probes (both original and re-purchased ones) and the unit was set to RTD. I had no idea the setting was even there much less what it was for. Better upfront communication is needed on their part.

• Sfdrew28
              Sfdrew28 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the info Troutman. Apparently anyone who bought one in the last year was shipped the thermistor probes and that’s what mine was set too.
              My probes work fine it just seems some times my channels can read 20-30 degree difference from each other at the same time. Happens sporadically.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here