Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermapen or thermapop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuke em
    replied
    I’ve had my pop for about 1 yr now. Loved it. Got it when they went on sale. Then thought how nice it would be to get a Mk-4. So I pulled the trigger a few weeks back when they went on sale. Got that and the booty glow in the dark cover for less than original price. I am surprised how fast it is. Not disappointed at all. Start low then go high. Both are worth it when it comes to food safety

Leave a comment:

• Timbo54
    replied
    I love my Thermapen MK 4. Its accurate, folds up and feels good in the hands. I also have the Thermopro TP 20 to keep an eye on ambient temp within the smoker and inside temp of protein. I have to add that the Thermopro has great customer service should you have problems.
    The MK 4 is useful checking temps, baked potatos, and reheated foods. Couldn't live without it.

Leave a comment:

• adamjs83
    commented on 's reply
    I agree. I have had one for several years and putting it in he dishwasher has never crossed my mind. But it’s still cool.

• HouseHomey
    commented on 's reply
    This ain't rigged neither. Fireman speaks truth!!

• HouseHomey
    replied
    Dude GET THE THERMAPEN!!!! Not even a question. First have the best and then scale down for other needs. The Thermapen is the veal stock/Demi glacé of the cooking temp world.

BT DUBBS, I have a Thermapen, pop, RT600, infer red and alarms n such. The pens are the best of breed. Just own it!

No question. Spend less later.

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    replied
    Thermapen & a pop. Gave the pop to son-in law. Not that I didn’t like it, just don’t need. If I could only have one temp gauge it would be the thermapen.

Leave a comment:

• HouseHomey
    commented on 's reply
    Please see my comment above.

• HouseHomey
    commented on 's reply
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE the RT 600 and its in my chef coat sleeve pocket every day. Question.... why on earth would you put in in a dishwasher? You are right though. RT600 ismoney!

• HouseHomey
    commented on 's reply
    Looking ve the Avatar!way to "Rock out!"

• Huskee
    replied
    I bought the Pop first, and was convinced I didn't need a Thermapen. Why pay triple for the Ferrari Thermapen I thought, when the ThermoPop does the same job... Eventually I was gifted a Thermapen, and it was definitely better to use. Where the extra speed of the Pen shines is if you're doing multiple pieces of meat, like a bunch of steaks or pieces of chicken. (I eventually bought 2 more Thermapens, one was lost and the other re-gifted, so I have one of each Pop & Pen now). If you don't see yourself needing the convenience of speed, if you usually just do large pieces like butts or roasts, or if speed doesn't matter to you, the Pop will do you just fine. It is a fantastic $29 thermometer, quite easily the single best option in that price class. Large rotating backlit screen, it really can't be beat for its price.

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    They were just on sale. which happens every so often.

• HawkerXP
    replied
    I have the Pop and Dot, love them both.

Leave a comment:

• SmokeyGator
    replied
    I got the thermapen. It came with a calibration certificate, and my less than laboratory accurate testing basically confirms the calibration (boiling water and ice water).

What I like about the pen is it folds up. So the pointy end isn’t just hanging out. But it is big, and not really something you can just clip on an apron in a busy kitchen. The thermapop would be perfect for that though. In a commercial kitchen you are probing stuff all the time unless you want the health dept to order a shut down which means you are featured on Channel 10 "Dirty Dining".

So for me, since I’m not a commercial kitchen, I don’t mind the larger probe. Also I am not as concerned with setting it down and it walking off, or it getting dropped in the pot with the lobster. If any of these things was an issue, thermapop. Quick, easy, compact, accurate, and not a big deal if it gets messed up.
    Last edited by SmokeyGator; August 19, 2018, 03:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Frozen Smoke
    replied
    I have 2 MK4’s one I use and a new one in the box for back up and a classic I need to send in for repair. It’s the only electronics I use and consider a must have when I’m cooking. I panic if I’m cooking away from home and it somehow got left behind. Oh my other must have electronics is my Bluetooth speaker!

Got my son a pellet popper for his birthday a few months back. Gave him a Thermapop to go with it. He loves it but he still eyes my new Thermapen in the box every time he’s over!

Leave a comment:

• Steve B
    replied
    Get the thermopen. Hands down.
    The thermopop is ok but with its short probe and no handle your hand is practically on top of the food and heat.
    I have both and hardy ever use the pop.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here