Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermapen or thermapop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermapen or thermapop

So i have a dot with multiple probes, and love it. So i need an insta read using the dot as an insta read ia kind of the pain in the ol butt. So is this pop worth the 30 bucks or im gonna kick myself that i didnt get a thermapen in a few months?

Hard to answer, since I haven't tried the ThermaPop - I have heard good things about it though. What I do know is that if you get a Thermapen (especially if during one of their frequent sales), you'll never look back. It's just very well-designed and well-implemented product.

Comment

I have an instant-read folding pen, but of questionable pedigree. It was almost free. I DO know I can't be without it - it's easier to have in my pocket. But I also have a pop, and a probe with a display base and remote; you really need to have as many ways to read temp as you have grills, + two.

# grills + 2 = # temp readers.

Comment

I have both. The Thermapen is fast! Thermopop takes only a second longer, but is much handier for a lefty.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking ve the Avatar!way to "Rock out!"

I have multiples of both, and am very pleased with them.
        I would recommend either one, without a moment's hesitation.

Comment

I just got a couple of thermapops. Totally adequate. I find it gets a good read pretty quickly. I would say only to get something faster if you need to temp a lot of meats one after the other.

My favorite is still the RT600c. I wish I had gotten more of those instead. Love the size and feel plus it’s dishwasher safe. $5 less than the pop. https://www.thermoworks.com/RT600C

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            I LOVE LOVE LOVE the RT 600 and its in my chef coat sleeve pocket every day. Question.... why on earth would you put in in a dishwasher? You are right though. RT600 ismoney!

• adamjs83
            adamjs83 commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree. I have had one for several years and putting it in he dishwasher has never crossed my mind. But it’s still cool.

Get the Pen. I had a Pop but wasn't impressed. Also look at the RT600-C, it can be used in the dishwasher (upper shelf), but the max temp is 300. I use that at work temping cold product. I bought one for the house about 5 years ago and it is still going strong. My Pop might have lasted 1.5 years.

My Pen is still kicking after 4 or so years and reads much higher than 300. Handy when checking cooking oil.

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Please see my comment above.

Im gonna go with that rt 600 thanks

Comment

There's also the Lavatools Javelin for about the same price as the ThermoPop. I own several and have found mo reason to be displeased. I like the folding form factor over the pop/pen type just because it's easier to carry around in my back pocket. I thought my wife had killed one, but it was only mostly dead and started working again after a couple of days.

The Javelin Pro Duo is pretty comparable to the ThermoPen for half the price. I've got one, it's great. You really can't go wrong with either the ThermoWorks stuff or Lavatools. ThermoWorks does have the longer track record of high quality, though.

Comment

• adamjs83
            adamjs83 commented
            Editing a comment
            I ordered the javelin on Amazon and returned it. The handle is huge and the probe is very thick compared to the thermoworks. Hard to get an ergonomic grip on it.

I have thermopops and they are best thermometers I've used. I'll probably buy a thermopen at some point though.

Comment

Get the thermopen. Hands down.
            The thermopop is ok but with its short probe and no handle your hand is practically on top of the food and heat.
            I have both and hardy ever use the pop.

Comment

I have 2 MK4’s one I use and a new one in the box for back up and a classic I need to send in for repair. It’s the only electronics I use and consider a must have when I’m cooking. I panic if I’m cooking away from home and it somehow got left behind. Oh my other must have electronics is my Bluetooth speaker!

Got my son a pellet popper for his birthday a few months back. Gave him a Thermapop to go with it. He loves it but he still eyes my new Thermapen in the box every time he’s over!

Comment

I got the thermapen. It came with a calibration certificate, and my less than laboratory accurate testing basically confirms the calibration (boiling water and ice water).

What I like about the pen is it folds up. So the pointy end isn’t just hanging out. But it is big, and not really something you can just clip on an apron in a busy kitchen. The thermapop would be perfect for that though. In a commercial kitchen you are probing stuff all the time unless you want the health dept to order a shut down which means you are featured on Channel 10 "Dirty Dining".

So for me, since I’m not a commercial kitchen, I don’t mind the larger probe. Also I am not as concerned with setting it down and it walking off, or it getting dropped in the pot with the lobster. If any of these things was an issue, thermapop. Quick, easy, compact, accurate, and not a big deal if it gets messed up.
                Last edited by SmokeyGator; August 19, 2018, 03:27 PM.

Comment

I have the Pop and Dot, love them both.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They were just on sale. which happens every so often.

I bought the Pop first, and was convinced I didn't need a Thermapen. Why pay triple for the Ferrari Thermapen I thought, when the ThermoPop does the same job... Eventually I was gifted a Thermapen, and it was definitely better to use. Where the extra speed of the Pen shines is if you're doing multiple pieces of meat, like a bunch of steaks or pieces of chicken. (I eventually bought 2 more Thermapens, one was lost and the other re-gifted, so I have one of each Pop & Pen now). If you don't see yourself needing the convenience of speed, if you usually just do large pieces like butts or roasts, or if speed doesn't matter to you, the Pop will do you just fine. It is a fantastic $29 thermometer, quite easily the single best option in that price class. Large rotating backlit screen, it really can't be beat for its price.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here