Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My tru tell is not tellin tru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My tru tell is not tellin tru

I finally got around to putting my tru tell on the wsm 22.5. Not doing a chicken cook. Drilled out the 7/8 hole thru the top and put other bq 300 with a 4 in stem and bolted her down. Put the fire board on the grate and let her rip. My tru tell is way off. 50 some degrees. Not to happy. I know my fire board is accurate. Now the Weber temp gauge that came with this unit was only off about 2 or 3 degrees which really surprised me. So frustrating....now what to do.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	C3F415D0-1BE0-411C-860E-A7A32AB6DC0B.jpeg
Views:	329
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	551175

Name:	760BB003-E943-4B5F-9269-D4B2508E790A.png
Views:	285
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	551176
    It looks like like there is only about a 7 inch difference between probes cause I am using the upper grate not the grate close to the water pan

Name:	A14ADC81-AF9B-4CA7-9B60-71C7F02303D5.jpeg
Views:	289
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	551177

Some of the Tell-Trus cn be calibrated. If your's is not, then measure the difference at each of your normal cooking temps, and just use the dome thermo as a rough guide.

So if the dome thermo reads 50* high when the grate thermo reads 350*, the just subtract 50* from the dome for a rough guide. Not ideal, but a easy work around.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, you can calibrate most of them, and you ought to. But What RonB is saying here holds. Even with only 7" difference in position, 50 degrees is certainly possible. That's what I saw when I first got one of the Thermaworks predecessors to the Smoke and put the probe down on the grate near the meat, relative to the Tel-Tru.

These are pretty nice thermos. They are adjustable. Use your fireboard to get your actual grate temp, and calibrate the Tel Tru to that temp. There is a little screw on the back of it to adjust the dial to whatever you want it to read.

Comment

That sorta defeats the purpose of having a tru tell to subtract the temps. Coulda saved a lot of money n effort.
      Now I took the unit off and checked and thought there was an adjustment screw but there isn’t. I thought maybe it’s under a sticker but it’s not

Name:	009B3EE0-EA61-4A2C-AEDE-E84C20AFF9B9.jpeg
Views:	280
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	551191Click image for larger version

Name:	40A7FE46-E85B-4DC8-9D89-D014339C144F.jpeg
Views:	285
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	551192

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        The adjuster is the nut next to the body.

• Nuke em
        Nuke em commented
        Editing a comment
        So you crank the nut to adjust it? And not set screw. I searched and couldn’t find a link except for the ones with a set screw. Would ya happen ya have a link to how to adjust the nut?

On my Weber kettle i did a chicken cook the other day using my maverick. One probe on the grate on at the vent on the dome at one point I had a 106 degree difference between the 2 probes. Check it on the boiling water test and see what it reads

Comment

Also remember because of the geometry of the dome shape, heat is going to well up at the top giving you a reading way hotter than at the grate. Personally I would have mounted it on the side of the lid a few inches above your grate. You’d probably see a closer reading to your Fireboard.

Comment

Dang, looks like you got a non adjustable one. All mine are adjustable. I mount mine at grate level on the old WSM.

Comment

I thought those could be calibrated too - don't know what to say. See if customer service will upgrade you?

I just checked my laser and three thermometers in boiling water and found out they are all OK. Was kind of surprised to see the laser can accurately read the boiling water, and while it heats up. At the rolling boil it read 185F. At the roiling boil the laser read 215F in the steam. I guess I'll take the Weber off Lucille and see if it's accurate.

Comment

Ha, I just looked cus I have that same exact thermo. It is pretty accurate, but dang not adjustable either! I lied! I have so many others that are. In any case, dome temp is always higher than grate temps. Sometimes a lot higher. Since you already have a hole, I would see about getting one that is adjustable. There is just a little flat head set screw on the back of the ones that are. The Tel Tru is actually pretty accurate. So I'll bet your fireboard would read dang near the same temps at the top of the dome. One thing you will notice with the glow in the dark version that you have too, is that over the years it will off-gas badly inside the sealed dial. It will smoke over real bad. I can't even read mine anymore.

Name:	IMG_2298.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	551238

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Want me to lend you a hanky to wipe that thing off?

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here