Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried the Meater? the new wireless probe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone tried the Meater? the new wireless probe?

I keep getting scroll ads for this new wireless probe and I'm looking for a review from someone who has acually used it. Looks good but is it really?

This is a touchy subject around here. Not a lot of success with it, and a few disgruntled people.

Comment

Do a search by just typing in meater you will get plenty of information

Comment

Yea they have stiffed a ton of people who ordered their meater block. I’m not sure they even started shipping them yet and people have had them on reserve for literally over 2 years. I ordered one last New Years, they delayed shipping until an unknown date and I asked for and received a refund.

Comment

The Meater Block is a novel approach to the wireless temperature measurement product category. While most competing products employ temperature probes tethered to a transmitter by a braided wire, the Meater builds the transmitter and battery to power it into the probe itself.

Comment

Thank you all. Certainly glad that I asked. Did not realize that Meathead had an op/ed review on it. Im sure disappointed, but glad I know beforehand.

Comment

I have a friend that just bought one we are going to experiment with it this weekend. Doing a comp cook in Madison IN. Let ya know next week.

Comment

I vote we have a sticky announcement that all further mention of certain items shall be looked upon with great distain.

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Aw, that just takes the fun out of the repartee!

Well it worked fine, I do not know what you may expect. We use a meadow creek vertical smoker. Put the meater next to another prob, and keep a close eye on it as well as using a thermo pen. All three were with in 2 degrees of each other. we also put it in the cambro, in a butt, and watched it on the phone when needed. The distance was about 20 ft and it would lose contact. My buddy that bought it bought the block also, but we did not have it with us, as it is suppose to give you a further rage of distance. First experiment went well. Further testing will be done in the future.

Comment

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Does your buddy have the Block? I haven't heard that the block is shipping except for some beta testers.

Dated 8/6:

The 100 MEATER Block production batch finished without a hitch. We just received them from the factory and have begun our QC validation tests. We’re going to have more information

Comment

• randy56
                  randy56 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes he has the block, just did not bring it this week end. I'm not sure what it look's like . This one was an individual unit in a small wood box with a single unit in it. At the distance of about 20 ft +, when the signal was lost, but when you walked back into range, it paired back. It works on bluetooth. At the comp cook we were more focus on the cook, than meater. We will do more testing.

Many are quick to speculate and pounce on the Meater's effectiveness based simply on their very slow delivery to early Kickstarter backers. But they are trying to make sure the product delivers in function, at the cost of the this very slow delivery time. I am patiently waiting. If it works well, then I'll be happy. If it sucks, then I'll pounce of them, but not until then. And yes, the 'block' is supposed to amplify the range considerably. Many who have single probes report the range is minuscule, which is to be expected really considering the size of the electronics.

Comment

I had an email from a Canadian store that I have ordered from that they now have the Meater in stock. I don’t really need a new thermometer so might be able to hold off. MCS still might get me though.

Comment

I am also waitin' on the Block, but I really want one probe for rotisserie cooks.

Comment

The reason the Meater range is so short is very simple, really. You are trying to send a radio signal through the BBQ. Radio signals simply don’t travel well through metal/ceramics. The Block idea is a good one, put a repeater near the source and then you are doing regular wireless networking outside the radio signal shield created by your BBQ.

That technology .... the ability to capture a signal, amplify it, rebroadcast it, is pretty straightforward. Which is why I’m surprised at how long the Block has taken to get to market. The Meater probe is the far more difficult engineering.

Comment

Dealing with a couple of engineering projects in my career that took years from start to finish, you never know what unexpected road blocks you will run into. That said, as ecowper says the block ought to have been the easier part of the engineering, as it is a charger and bluetooth/wifi repeater of sorts. The real marvel is cramming a bluetooth thermometer into a small probe that can survive the temperatures of a smoker.

Comment

• ecowper
                          ecowper commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yeah, cramming all that stuff inside the Meater, getting enough battery strength to generate enough RF to get through the grill .... that’s not easy

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here