Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ Probe Port - How To Do It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ Probe Port - How To Do It

Hi Folks,

I've been poking around looking for the best grommet to use for probes for my cookers. I've run into sellers on Amazon / eBay etc. selling steel grommets that seal from ~ $ 11.00 plus shipping to $ 25.00 free shipping each.

Those are all Firewall Electrical Seal Grommets. They run $ 3.00 - $ 5.00 depending upon gauge (zero to 10 - meaning many probes to one). Don't get taken in - you can get quantity of at least 5 for what they are terming BBQ Smoker Probe Grommet. Everyone's got to make money - now you know how to save yours.

Just search eBay for 'Firewall Grommet Bushing', and if you don't mind black instead of stainless / chrome, you can get 10 for $ 10.00.

Click image for larger version

Name:	grommet.jpg
Views:	3389
Size:	3.0 KB
ID:	544647
    Last edited by JGo37; August 7, 2018, 03:14 PM.

Thanks for the info! Which cookers are you installing these on?

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm going to install stainless gauge 8 on two Weber kettles, a 22.5" and a 26.75", one each. I'm going to put them opposite the SNS on the lower kettle, just above the grate. Just above the grommets on the upper kettle I've also got 2" Dozyant BBQ thermometers, one each, to get an idea of what's going on in the convection zone. I calibrated the thermometers in boiling water.

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm also picking up an unused Kitchenaid charcoal grill for a token price - never used and the paperwork is inside it, on the grate. I'm going to try using self adhesive rolls of cork to seal it up. If that works, it'll get a grommet and two thermometers and become a smoker for longer full racks and brisket. If the cork works, I'll post it - I've got 10 rolls of 100' and can get more.

I just went to my tool box downstairs and came up with these. A little high temp paint on the cap and we are good to go Click image for larger version

Name:	20180808_172348.jpg
Views:	3341
Size:	306.2 KB
ID:	545386Click image for larger version

Name:	20180808_172409.jpg
Views:	3254
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	545387

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Git R Done, amigo!

I installed these in my pellet cookers a while back and I've been happy with them.

Installation is easy: just drill a hole, slide the sleeve through from the outside, place the collar over the sleeve on the inside and tighten the allen screw. That's it.

Name:	Grommet Port Outside.jpg
Views:	3232
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	545418
    (Outside View)

Name:	Grommet Port Inside.jpg
Views:	3272
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	545417 ​​​​​​​
    (Inside View)
    ​​​​​​​

Name:	Cajun_Bandit_3_8_BBQ_Sensor_Grommets.png
Views:	3034
Size:	351.3 KB
ID:	545419 ​​​​​​​
    Grommet Kit

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Super-Cool option, Brother!
      Thanks fer makin me aware of em!

• BBQ_Steve-O
      BBQ_Steve-O commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones Happy to share brother!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here