Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maverick XR-50 Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maverick XR-50 Review

I have a Thermoworks Smoke after seeing the reviews here and else where and have been very happy with it. After seeing the XR-50 come out, I purchased one since it was similar in price as the Smoke and had features the Smoke didn't have for a fair price.

Here is what I like about the XR-50. 1) I has four probes. I found this to be the key thing for me. I can monitor three roasts, chickens, or a large turkey in several places all while monitoring my cooker temp. 2) The range is great even in the house. Granted I don't have a farm with the grill in the back 40, just a typical suburban yard. I am able to be in the front yard or the basement and I can still get a signal from the back yard. The Smoke tended to cut out. 3) The magnets on the receiver and transmitter are nice. You just slap it on to a metal chair, frame, or fridge and you're good. 4) The flip up stands on both the receiver and transmitter are better than the magnets. They have several angles. They also flip up flat and have a hole to hang on a hook, nail, or on the cabinet handles. 5) They claim to be water/weather resistant. I don't like to test this keeping my stuff under a shelf or in a ziplock bag (yay magnets!) when the weather looks to be getting bad. 6) The alarms are smart. They don't go off just because the cooker or meat is heating up and is below the min temp setting. 7) The wire jacks are colored! I just love the simple things that make life easier. You can assign colors to different meats and know which one is done instead of trying to track down the wire from the base unit.

Here's what I feel could be improved. 1) The magnet on the receiver are just a tad weak. They stick to the fridge but the receiver has a tendency to "walk" down when people walk by. 2) The probe wire lengths are good. It would be nice to have another foot or two, but that may just end in a birds nest of wires for the average user. 3) The alarm on the base unit cannot be muted (or I can't figure out how). So, when you have a long cook over night the neighbors know your temps are off as well as you do. I can mute the Smoke base unit. 4) There's no volume control. It's on and loud. 5) There's no belt clip on the receiver. It would be nice to clip it to your pocket so you can have it when your working in the garage or other places and not have to worry about forgetting it there.

Finally, the battery bug. Forget it. They fixed it. I did a 12 hour cook and a week later the batteries are chugging away at full steam. Adrenaline BBQ Company (ABC) is fantastic. They treated me with respect and kindness throughout the process. I went through two units and the third is working like a charm. That's right; two units. I got one of the first ones sold and the batteries were dead in days sitting in the cabinet. I returned it at no cost to me to ABC who sent me another one right away. The second one also had the bug. ABC asked me to give them a report so they can compare it to others having issues and asked me to hold tight; a fix was coming. I was contacted by Maverick as well and they listened to my concerns. I didn't mind the wait. I was treated right and I'd rather get everything fixed than feel like I was not being taken seriously or the company didn't care by continually getting a bad product. The third unit arrived and I was told to keep the second and the probes. Okay, that was awesome. A free set of probes for my hardship. That's customer service. I had a problem, they took me serious, took responsibility, and provided me with something for my patience and understanding while they worked it out.

Yes, I would recommend the XR-50 very highly and I would highly recommend you get it from ABC along with checking them out for any other items you might need. Do I think the XR-50 is better than the Smoke? I'll say slightly yes for my situation because I'm reaching for the XR-50 more than my Smoke. I do like having both and each does have it's pluses and minuses so I'd say don't ignore the Smoke and what it has to offer. I'm using my Smoke now while I write this. Look at both and decide for yourself.

Thanx for an in depth review.

Comment

We appreciate the review! Thanks!

Comment

Great review. Thanks!

Comment

Excellent to know. I wish they'd come out with this a year earlier, but I still love the cloud features of my Fireboard.

Comment

I tried the iGrill and the 732. They just weren't rugged enough (probably user error/not taking care of my equipment). The XR-50 is right in my wheelhouse. I love the thing.

Comment

Nice work. Thank you for that.

Comment

snowswamp, An Excellent Review And Personal Product Review‼️ It Just Goes To Show A Rational Well Thought Out Approch To Lodging A Complaint Will Not Only Resolve A
                Problem But May Result In You Being Better Taken Care Of
                Than You Expected‼️
                Eat Well And Prosper❗️ From A Backyard Cremator In Fargo ND, Dan
                Last edited by Danjohnston949; August 4, 2018, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here