Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermopen read time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermopen read time.

There have been at least four different Thermopens that have called a drawer in our kitchen home. I still have one MK 4 and one older unit. None of them have ever read more than a few degrees difference in two to three seconds. As I was checking ambient air temps over a chimney last night, it was taking 20 - 30 sec to come up to temp, (I did not actually time it). Air temp was 84* and chimney temp was rising as high as 400* + at the end.

So how fast do your Thermopens get to final temp?
    I consistently get readings in 2 to 3 sec.
    100.00%
    I never get readings in 2 to 3 sec.
    0%
    I occasionally get readings in 2 to 3 sec.
    0%

I have an old red one that is till awesome. I don't recall what the max temp is on those but it may have been to hot over your chimney.

Comment

Mine (MK4) is maybe 5 seconds which is good enough for me.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd be happy with 5 sec.

Closer to 5 for me as well. Still good. I only have the older units, not the MK.

Comment

Taking ambient at temp isn't really a fair way to judge the speed of a thermometer as the air is going to take a lot longer to transmit it's energy to the probe than meat or water. Just like food cooks faster in 200* water than in a 200* oven

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          This may be true, but mine doesn't jump from ~ 75* to ~ 150* in 2 or 3 sec either.

Thanx all for responding. I checked the temp of a baked potato tonight. The Thermopen rose from room temp to ~ 208* in 4 to 5 sec, so I guess that it may just be that ambient temps are slower to register.

Comment

Used my MK 4 today, it went from an ambient temperature of 97 to 175 in about 4 sec with my boneless beef chuck short ribs.

Comment

Those probes are NOT designed for air temps.

These are. https://www.thermoworks.com/Air-Thermapen

Comment

I have the classic and the MK4 they both perform as advertised although I have never actually timed the response and have only used it to measure internal food temps. Don't think it's ever been more than 4 or 5 seconds that I have left the probe in and felt satisfied in the reading.

Comment

• smullery
                smullery commented
                Editing a comment
                Thermopen are contact only, and just the tip section. That’s what they do. Ambient probes are non contact and really, really don’t "like" contact with hot surfaces.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here