Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minir BBQ Emergency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minir BBQ Emergency

So, I'm at my vacation home with plans to smoke 4 racks of Last Meal Ribs for my friends 65th birthday tomorrow and discovered that 1) I had accidentally left my Fireboard home and 2) My Maverick is not working (probes registering crazy temps at room temperature even after changing batteries.) I can buy an iGrill Mini at my local Lowe's for $40. Does anybody have any recent experience with the Mini that can advise if it works decently? I needed it to monitor smoker temp since my propane box needs periodic fiddling to keep steady while producing smoke.

I'm certain, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that folks will come along with far better advice, but I'd jus 'Go Commando', an closely monitor yer cooker.

Please do note that I'm systematically, categorically not recommendin that YOU do this...
    I wish ya th best of luck on yer impendin cook, I have great faith in yer ability to Git R Done!

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely doable. Does the cooker have a cheap thermometer of some kind? All you really need is a rough guide.

If you can find any large store you can probably get a cheap polder or Taylor brand leave in thermometer to monitor the grill. They are something like 15 bucks. Not the best but will get you close without spending a ton.

Unless of course you want an excuse to get the igrill. :-)

Comment

I’m betting you can do this cook without any temp probes. I don’t usually probe my ribs, they are pretty forgiving.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't need to probe the ribs, though I usually do. What I need is to monitor my pit temp

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        Dewesq55 what are you cooking on? With my personal cookers I can judge halfway close, But if I’m using an unfamiliar cooker then all bets are off.

I'm with Mr. Bones. Time to improvise, adapt and overcome. Just go nekkid, get the temp as close as you can and don't sweat it too much.
      Last edited by Steve R.; July 1, 2018, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        I am with Steve R on this. Crack a beer and don't sweat it!

So, I bought the iGrill Mini at Lowe's and it worked great. I needed it, too, as my smoker gave me a lot of resistance to holding a reasonable temperature range for quite a while before I was able to dial it in. Ribs came out great:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180702_195043-1612x1209.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	525958Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180702_203705-1612x1209.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	525959Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180702_192627-1612x1209.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	525960Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180702_192337-1209x1612.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	525961

Comment

• Black99vette
        Black99vette commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great, nice job!

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Boom! Great work my friend. Have a great holiday!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here