Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wireless thermometer that alarms for high and low temp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless thermometer that alarms for high and low temp?

Hi folks,
    I am looking for a wireless thermometer that has alarms for both reaching desired temp and also if temp drops too low on the grill/smoker.

Any suggestions?

Thermoworks Smoke and the new Mavrick xr-50 , either one will do what you ask. The Maverick has 4 probes.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, what he said

I have the Thermoworks smoke and it does the job..

Comment

I love my Thermoworks Smoke and love the Fireboard even more.

Comment

So that's three suggestions so far: Maverick XR-50, Thermoworks Smoke, and Fireboard. That is in ascending order of price too BTW.

The Maverick XR-50, available through abcbarbecue.com, seems best on the surface if you don't want Wifi capability, but I am also reading some reports of issues with the AAA batteries wearing out quickly, like in 1 to 2 cooks. I've yet to replace the batteries in my Smoke, and I've been using it since summer 2017, and done a LOT of long cooks with it. Heck, I'm not even sure what kind of batteries are in it, since I've not touched them since the day I got it.

Comment

• Bogy
          Bogy commented
          Editing a comment
          Haven't changed the batteries in my Smoke either. The wifi gateway has a rechargeable battery.

Fireboard

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL Troutman

• Sfdrew28
          Sfdrew28 commented
          Editing a comment
          Joining the chorus

• Sephon
          Sephon commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep. I always set my highs and lows.

Cyberq

Comment

Just poke your steak with your finger and if it feels like your hand it's medium rare. Just see if the chicken juices are clear and it's done. Real pitmasters don't need a thermometer.

Wait, no, this isn't bbq bretheren... what they said above ^

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Xandera_7 Just keep my unprofessional sense of humor between us, I don't want other members knowing about it ... 👍

• Xandera_7
            Xandera_7 commented
            Editing a comment
            Sure thing
            😂
            I like it. Unprofessional humor is the best kind!

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Shots over the bow, sir!! LOL

I’ve been using an igrill the one with the 4 probs and is works good for me and I can get the alarms on my phone (as long as I’m in Bluetooth range) haven’t had any issues yet and I’ve had it since they came out

Comment

Thermoworks Smoke here. I have a PBC Jr and find that two probes are fine for me. Chjeck the deals forum since Thermoworks seems to have sales on a regular basis.

I'd recommend silicone encased probe wires that can be submerged while cleaning.

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Have you found a waterproof probe that works with the Smoke?

• N227GB
              N227GB commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry for the late reply! I think there are silicone encased probe cables that are at least water resistant. Those sure would be easier to keep clean.

Bill McGrath, our electrical engineer, has bench tested and field tested, rated and reviewed 41 of them here https://amazingribs.com/thermometer-...ort_order=DESC

Comment

Just deployed my fireboard received as a wonderful gift, replaced a Maverick system. Fireboard sets up easy, generates dandy fine data-geek worthy output, and has plenty of input channels. I've used it monitoring the pit and ambient temps on ribs, monitoring the meat, pit, and ambient on a pork butt cook, and used it to monitor and adjust acid, protein, and sacchrification rests on a home brewing episode. I'm sold. I gotta get the fan and pimp my weber! Love it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here