Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oven safe thermometers reading to high?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oven safe thermometers reading to high?

Question

I have two different brands of oven safe thermometers that I use for smoking and cooking. Both of them are reading high by 10-15degrees. My last brisket was showing IT of 205ish and the flat was still firm. I pulled it out and rested and it tasted fine but was a little firm (so I sliced it thin). I am cooking two briskets now and they are showing temps in the same range but the flat is still firm. I also have to instant read thermometers and took temps. both are showing 190 while the leave in thermometers are showing 205. Anyone else have this problem? the leave in ones are by different manufactures and I have tried not to submerse them in water.

Any Thoughts
    cccq

What brands are they. Can do a boiling water and ice water test on them

Comment

Can you test them in boiling water without getting the probes fully submerged (unless they're waterproof)? This will ensure how much they're off. Also might be a good idea to to do that with your instant reads just in case.

Comment

I agree that a boiling water test is in order. However, temperature is just a guide to when your protein is ready. Don't be a slave to the numbers - go by feel and pull when it feels right.

Comment

one is Thermopro tp20 (amazon) and the other Kitchenbros (target). Just wondering what it did for both of them to be wrong.

Comment

Checking calibration with both boiling water and ice bath should tell you if it's a linear shift - off 5 degrees across the board- or skewed - -on at 32, but off at 212, and by how much. You could use that info...or buy a Thermoworks Thermopen Mk IV and they can certify it for you.

Comment

cccq, Boil Them Like The Others Have Suggested❗️ Then Go To The Home Page Of Amazing Ribs.Con, Click On Thermometors And Read The Ratings‼️ I Would Suggest A Thermopen MK-4 Instant Read By ThermoWorks and The New Maverick 4 Probe Transmitter Type Just Introduced by Adrenilinebbqco.com, See [email protected]‼️ I Have Owned Both A 733 Maverick 2-Probe Leave In and A Classic Thermopen Instant Read For Several Years and No Problems Todate‼️ One Other Thermometer System You May Want To Study and Decide Your Needs Is The 6-Probe FireBoard W / Temp and Fan Control‼️ FireBoard Labs IMLTHOP Are Producing The "Mercedes" Of Home Thermometors At This Time‼️👍👍👍‼️ I Didn't Tell You When I Started This "LECTURE" ( Maybe A RunOff of The Mouth) That I Wasn't Going To Spend A Wad of "YOUR MONEY"‼️ What I Will Tell YouIs SWhen I Joined The "PIT CLUB" In Dec 2014, I DIDN'T OWN A DECENT THERMOMETOR OF ANY TYPE‼️ With The Good Advice Of Many Of The "PIT CLUB MEMBERS" Have Changed My Ways❗️ The "Dirty B-----d's Can Take They're Hands Out Of My Pockets NOW‼️
              Eat Well and Prosper❗️ From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan
              Last edited by Danjohnston949; June 10, 2018, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here