Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pellet Grill Thermometers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pellet Grill Thermometers

I am waiting on a new Camp Chef Woodwind Pellet Grill to arrive. Is it safe to trust the Thermometers/probes built into this unit? Should I still invest in a stand alone thermometer if nothing else to compare reading?

Any Thoughts.....?

From what I've read, the thermometers in good quality pellet cookers (and yours is in that category) are placed to get an average over the cooker. So, if you were to get a pit thermometer and put it down on the grate, it's going to read differently - often substantially. Just a matter of what you want to do temp-wise and where.

Comment

Maverick XR50. Just-Get-It.

I prefer to have a thermometer reading at grate level somewhere. For instance, my pellet smoker right now is reading 260 but at grate level it is around 235 amongst 6 packer briskets.

Comment

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        +1

My Rec Tec usually reads 10-15 hotter at the grate than what the grill thermo reads.

Comment

Hi, I own a Yoder, and the door Thermometers are good for, well they look neat. But they are reading air temp inches about the grate. And my ribs are at grate level. They are many good quality thermometers, that read temps at the grate.

OH, I know it started up, when the door thermometer dial moves.

Comment

As far as the meat probes go I'm sure they're as accurate as a stand-alone digital thermometer. At least the Traeger meat probes and my Smoke thermometer probes/Thermapen match up. However, if Camp Chef uses a stationary, mid-height probe then it's just giving you an idea. I can get a 25 - 50 degree difference on a given spot on the grate between the installed sensor and the Smoke probe at grate height.

Comment

My brother is an executive chef and he doesn't trust any probe by itself. He carries four with him at all times and uses two in rib roasts in the oven to be sure. He had a bad experience twice and won't repeat it.

Comment

• Nate
              Nate commented
              Editing a comment
              I use leave in and then spot check with my instant read.

Your grate level will vary from the thermometer as folks as indicated above. Any it will vary from left to right and top to bottom. You should run some tests with a probe to check have this varies in your smoker. Gives you information on which shelf you might want to use and which end to face/place such things as the point of a whole packer.

Comment

Set your cooker temp to where you want it. Don’t worry about it after that. It’s going to turn out amazing!

trust your Cooker. It won’t let you down.

Comment

• Dr ROK
                Dr ROK commented
                Editing a comment
                What he said.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here