Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Maverick xr 50 cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Maverick xr 50 cook

to start with setting in the same chair my Maverick 738 would loose signal but regain signal several times in a 5 hr cook the new XR never skip a beat I cook a pork butt to be sliced reheated with gravy Thursday as my son graduation quest will show up wanted some thing for them to eat as they filter in. Back to the XR it is very easy to set all the features and beeps when it’s suppose to here’s some photos if you are on the fence about ordering this one at the top of the list. had a little taste of the bark and it was outstanding
    Attached Files

Sweetness. Think I might have mine by Wed or Thurs.

Comment

Where are you guys getting the XR50 from? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Comment

Any of you guys know how temp resistant this is? Ie is it ok to stick it on the low side of a weber kettle? The side of a smoke vault running around 250?

Comment

• snowswamp
        snowswamp commented
        Editing a comment
        Great question. I haven’t seen any thing about the heat resistance of this or the Smoke. All the pictures show it propped up next to the grill. I do not attach mine to the side of my SV24 just to be safe. I usually pull a metal patio chair near and use the magnet to stick to the chair. I’d love to know though if I’m being paranoid.
        Last edited by snowswamp; June 7, 2018, 10:38 PM.

Originally posted by grantgallagher View Post
      Any of you guys know how temp resistant this is? Ie is it ok to stick it on the low side of a weber kettle? The side of a smoke vault running around 250?
      I don't know how temp resistant the housing on the transmitter is (I assume that's what you're asking), but I'd say if you can hold your hand on those surfaces you're ok. If it's way too hot to touch I wouldn't risk it. Or, you could buy 2 of them and find out exactly what's too hot for it!

Comment

I grilled up 9 thick pork loin chops yesterday later afternoon just before I had to head in to work. Wife was making dinner up and was going to just bake them. I decided while I was enjoying my 'morning' (4:30pm) coffee I'd light the charcoal and just grill them. And I thought it was a great time to test out my XR50. It worked very well. Of course it was a simple cook, hour long, no real distance to test it out with. But it was EVERY BIT as easy to setup and use as the Smoke. Instant connection. Neither the transmitter nor the receiver needs tools to put in/change batteries. Both have a kickstand that fold up in several positions and all the way up to be a hook, and both have magnets.

I will say it again, this is a Smoke killer. It really is.

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, with all these reviews, I am going to have to try this one out. I love my Smoke, but it does have a few drawbacks. I only hesitate because I HATED my Maverick 732. I sold one, and gave the other away.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Thunder77 I still use my 732s, I don't mind them at all, but this is much closer to the Smoke. Not even same ballpark as the 732. You won't regret it.

• jecucolo
          jecucolo commented
          Editing a comment
          I really like the kick stand that folds up and becomes a hook! Genius!

I got mine in the mail today. The only negative I’ve found so far is the magnets on the small receiver are to small/not strong enough. It slides down the fridge or where ever else I stick it. Minor issue and can be fixed by glueing or taping another magnet on it. Otherwise I’m pretty excited!

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmm, I never tried my receiver's magnet out. I'm just happy it has a kickstand. I'll try mine in the morning when I get home to see if my experience is the same (which I'm sure it will be).

• snowswamp
          snowswamp commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s not a feature I think I’ll use much. What someone needs to do is have a robust belt clip so you can easily carry it on you instead of a lanyard swinging around your neck or having to remember to pick it up and move it with you.

Only issue I found so far is, I left it on for 24 hours, with the intent to leave it on for a week or two straight to see how long the batteries would last. At the 24 hour mark the transmitter's display was noticeably dim, and every time the red light would come on when it transmits the display would go to nearly invisible for half a second and then back. Could just be some crappy batteries that came with it. I intend to put my really good rechargeables in it and do the same test and leave it on for weeks if necessary. I have a suspicion though because it's more powerful it's therefore harder on the batteries. I'm sure most of us realize though that using the included cheap batteries with anything is always going to be a weak point.

Comment

• Fire Art
          Fire Art commented
          Editing a comment
          The battery symbol on The receiver was showing it was almost dead good batteries will make a world of difference

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here