Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I tested my Fireboard, my Yoder and... cost myself some money. lol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I tested my Fireboard, my Yoder and... cost myself some money. lol

So yesterday on another forum, some folks were bashing pellet poopers, and I decided to test my Yoder YS480 to see how hot it would get. My Traeger won't even get to 400°F, I don't think, but the Yoder controller goes up to 600°F, so I thought I'd put some probes in various places and see what happened.

Well, first of all... like a dummy, I didn't change or remove my aluminum foil from the drip pan which has been there for 2 or 3 cooks, including a couple of pork butts. Sooooo... about 15 minutes in, I smell smoke and go out to check it and smoke is absolutely ROLLING out of the thing. I mean, damn! And who says pellet poopers don't produce enough smoke???? lol Anyways, yes, it was the crap on the foil covering the drip pan that was smoking up a storm. So I opened the lid and then it catches fire. lol Flames rolling up, singed my arm hair when I went to put the lid back down to smother the flames. Oh well, no biggie, the damn thing is made of heavy steel, right? I ain't worried.

Turns out, I shoulda been worried about my probes on the Fireboard. They are rated to 572°F, but it definitely went above that! Here's a look:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180428-105522-X2.png
Views:	249
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	490942

As you can see, the probes topped out VERY quickly, and a couple of them look like they're probably fried - these were the two in the hottest areas, the bottom middle and bottom front right. In addition, 2 other probes in the same positions on the top grate leaked what looks like some red silicone out of them, so I'm assuming that even if they're still good, they probably aren't very water resistant anymore.

So, as you can see, I proved a few things with this little experiment -
    • Yoder smokers can indeed reach the 600°F max on the controller
    • Fireboard probes will read slightly higher than the rated 572°F
    • Fireboard probes shouldn't be asked to read higher than the rated 572°F
    • When testing your smoker's limits, make sure to remove old nasty foil - unless you are on good terms with the local Fire Department, as your neighbors may institute an investigation (mine nearly did! lol)
    • If you're testing probe limits, make sure to buy extras. lol

A tough learning experience. Thanks for the tips.

Comment

Meh, no big deal, I had extra probes I'd bought. $30 to replace 2 of them, I'll probably buy some more extras anyways. Really looking at the new competition ones, I like how thin they are, and they're only $2 more.

Comment

HeeHee, great science, brother!
        I was wonderin where that afternoon cloud front came from, up this way!

Comment

At least you knew to put the top down and didn't try to put the fire out with water. Hey - I'm trying to make the best out of the situation...

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
            DogFaced PonySoldier commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh yeah. No big deal, I just cleaned it out and everything's fine. Nothing like a little heat's gonna hurt that thing.

Comment

Sounds like a good time to invest in a fire extinguisher.

Comment

well, the inside is now sanitary, that is for sure. I burned up a Maveric probe the other day seeing how hot my flame thrower will get. apparently it gets a little over the max they will read.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fire Scarecrow.jpg Views:	1 Size:	60.2 KB ID:	491070

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here