Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermoworks Smoke or probe broken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermoworks Smoke or probe broken?

I was wondering if any you of have seen this happen to your Smoke? This picture is after moving the probe to both jacks and it read the same. This is my second probe in 2 months and as I’m writing this it is no longer reading the probe. Is this meaning I’ve lost another probe? Do I need to be more careful when I was them? I’m only getting the probe part wet when I do wash them. Anyways, any insight on this would be much appreciated. I may just have to buck up and buy another one. What a great time for this to happen as a butt is on the egg. Good thing I have a cheap backup to get me in the area. Click image for larger version  Name:	66612BA9-FCE8-45B8-913E-36793662805C.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.40 MB ID:	490804

Moisture, humidity, and crimped cords from heavy lids can cause havoc with probes.

I think Huskee has dried probes in the oven before.

When washing my probes I’m extremely careful about trying not to get water where the cord and probe meet.

If your other probes are showing a normal and the same temp by plugging them into both ports then I would tend to lean towards it being a probe problem. If you plug the probe into both parts and you have significant differences in readings then I would say it is the Smoke controller.

Comment

As Nate said, try drying in the oven at ~350* for an hour or so - I'm not sure of the time. And don't put any parts that are plastic in the oven.

Comment

What does Tworks say? They are really responsive and try to fix the problem. I had a probe go in a few months and they just replaced it. Also, did you buy directly from them or other party?

My probe just read -- if I remember correctly.

Comment

I've had that happen with my Smoke a few times. In my case it's not wet probes, but moisture inside the unit itself If you have forced air heat you could set the unit on end over a vent and let it go half a day, that's what I do. The metal plug gets wet, and it gets the socket inside wet, this changes the electrical resistance resulting in crazy high numbers temporarily..at least this is what I suspect. I've never had to bake my Tworks probes, only Maverick.

Comment

I had a rash of bad probes from them, like 2 went out within 3-4 months. They replaced them both no questions asked. So far so good since then.

Comment

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
              I had a rash of bad probes from them, like 2 went out within 3-4 months. They replaced them both no questions asked. So far so good since then.
              That reminds me, I did have one probe go bad seemed like right away and they replaced one for me....however they made it a point to say something along the lines of "we'd be happy to give you one complimentary probe replacement" which I thought was an odd thing to say. If the next one fails you won't replace any more? Hmm..

Comment

I had this exact same message from them. Purchased a new probe for a Chefalarm to replace one that went bad after a number of years. When I got this second one it was bad, the third came with this massage.

I also have 3 Thermapens, 2 have been repaired once, one has been replaces twice. I’ve always read these guys are supposed to be the best....with a price to match. They do have good customer service. Maybe just me, but the product reliability sure seems suspect.

Comment

Knock on wood (dang it, I hurt my knuckles) but I have been lucky so far with the Smoke and the probes.

Comment

Hope not. I like their products. Just picked up a second Smoke on the open box sale and have some thermapens and DOT’s as well so I have lots of probes on hand.

Comment

So I called thermoworks and the tech guy said that I need to make a shim with some aluminum foil to take some weight off of the proble from the lid. I have a BGE. They also replaced the probe no questions asked. Thankful for this company.

Comment

• Mudkat
                        Mudkat commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Wonder if you'll get the jelly beans?

I hope we get jelly beans 😋.

I had my food probe go Friday night starting a Boston butt.

I was trying my new fireboard / put viper fan I just got and wanted the smoke to compare temps. I put the food probe from fireboard in and out registered 37, then the smoke food probe registered 145. I rechecked thinking maybe I went through the bottom of the meat for some strange reason but I did not.

Next day I tried the same smoke probe and it still was way off just registering the air temp in my house. I then did an ice bath and it showed 145. So a quick call to customer service and got someone on a Saturday!! I explained to quality control and they laughed saying I must be using the wrong ice. He then confirmed my address and said I'm still under warranty and will ship out Monday. He also explained 3 main reasons for a probe failure.

Sill hoping I do get the jelly beans with my replacement probe.

Comment

I'm having the same problem. They replaced the first probe. 2nd one is out of warranty.I also was told how the probe could fail. I'm pretty careful how it was used and stored. I don't think the 2nd probe was used 10 times. Right now I get a 35 degree difference in my 2 probes and it is the same if they are reversed in the Smoke itself. Over time the reading will just give a false reading with letters not numbers.So, is there another brand of probes that are more reliable and more durable that will work with the Smoke?

Comment

I got a boatload of probes from China - Wish.com - for almost free. So I don't really pay attention.

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
                            Elton's BBQ commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Do they work on the TW smoke?

• JGo37
                            JGo37 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Elton's BBQ I don't have a TW.. seems to be a common connection. I believe the specs are in the online description, and you can look up the connection type for what you have. There's a handful of varying types carried on Wish.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here