Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mavericks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mavericks

I'm really interested in Thermoworks, but since they don't sell on Amazon, I'm gonna have to go in a different direction for now. I've heard of Maverick for years, and I have a basic one from Home Depot, but I've learned quickly here that I need something a little more substantial. The question is: if I buy a Maverick ET-732, is that enough, or would there be additional benefits to adding an instant read thermistor like the DT-09GG?

It depends on what your main type of cooking is. Generally I'd say an instant read is equally as important as a leave-in. But if all you cook is ribs and brisket, you might not need an instant read. Where they shine is burgers, chops, steaks, etc. You can temp multiple pieces of meat that you want to take just over the safe level but not miles beyond like a brisket. I'm happy with the Mav 732. You'd be happy with the Smoke too but my main issue is even though they're nicer and a little easier to use, I don't personally feel they're $40 better.

Comment

Thanks, Huskee. I think my question came from hearing a lot of members rave about the Smoke, but I don't recall them mentioning Thermapens very much. It makes a little more sense to me now. I do tend to cook both low and slow proteins as well as steaks and chops, so it seems like I should go for both types. The 732 is a given, but now I need to take a closer look at the instant reads.

Comment

On the instant read thermometer I highly recommend the Thermopen.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          And if it's too spendy for you get the Thermopop.

• KtKins7
          KtKins7 commented
          Editing a comment
          I just got the Thermopop recently and I'm very happy with it!

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Pop! and on sale right now!!

I prefer to have both a leave in and instant read. I like to confirm the leave in with an instant read in case maybe I didn't place the leave in correctly (too close to a bone, maybe not exactly in the center etc.). I have both the ET-732 and the Smoke. My first ET-732 died after 3yrs. So no complaints there. However, I do prefer the Smoke. It's a little easier to set and you can set your alarms up AND down. If you accidentally over shoot your target degrees for the alarm on the ET-732, you have to keep going up and come completely back around to your target. For the money though it's killer.

Comment

If you need Amazon and think you might want a cheaper instant-read, check out this one from Maverick: https://www.amazon.com/Maverick-PT-5...mazingribs--20

$40.

Here's Bill's review on it, it gets Gold! https://amazingribs.com/thermometers...mometer-review
          Click image for larger version  Name:	mav_pt-55.jpg Views:	1 Size:	7.4 KB ID:	482567

Comment

• VideoWolf88
            VideoWolf88 commented
            Editing a comment
            That looks like a winner! Ordering soon.

So, I ended up buying both the 732 and the PT-55 on Amazon through the links here. Haven't had a chance to use either yet, but I'm already having an issue with the 55. It's got one of those typical operations for coin-style batteries where you use a coin or something similar to unlock the compartment to install the batteries. Except on this 55, the top doesn't come off when its unlocked. I've emailed Maverick three times so far with no response.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            The battery hatch does not come right off on my Thermapen Classic either - I have to turn it over and give it a little tap against my palm to get the cover to fall off once it is unlocked.

I would suggest both. A thermometer is the only unitasker (little Aldon Brown jargon there) I own, and I own one instant, and 3 leave ins.

Comment

I sold my Maverick once I got the Smoke. I have two Thermapens, and I never looked back after buying those. I also have a Thermopop which I like a lot, if you are needing a less expensive range.

Oh right, you said you needed Amazon. The Lavatools instant read on this site is a good choice as well.
            Last edited by Thunder77; April 26, 2018, 08:42 AM.

Comment

• Atalanta
              Atalanta commented
              Editing a comment
              Your old Maverick is right now monitoring my first smoke on my blue Webber.

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Awesome!

The Thermapen is an absolute must or other quality instant read. There is simply no question about it. It's a safety issue and food quality issue.

If I had only one it would be a Thermapen because we don't always s cook outside. We cook in ovens and on stoves too, say Staek, chicken thighs, fried chicken, burgers, meatballs etc...

thermapoop and the RTC600C pocket thermometer can each be had for less than $30.00.

Themoworks charges 6 bucks or less for shipping and their products are superb IMHO.

Good luck.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here