Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cloud Temp Controller: Fireboard and Flameboss frakenstein solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cloud Temp Controller: Fireboard and Flameboss frakenstein solution?

I have a 22" Weber kettle. Very interested in a cloud-connected unit with fan to control temp. Started researching and reading reviews and have come to this conclusion, interested in thoughts from the community.

It seems like the best cloud-connected thermometer unit is the Fireboard. And with a couple of accessories, it can be utilized to control a fan unit. However, it's really clear that Fire Boss has the best fan adapter kit for Weber kettles. (Fireboard's fan kit is really only for kamados and the like).

So I'm thinking of frankensteining products from both companies together into what *seems like* the ideal thing:

- Fireboard (https://www.fireboard.com/shop/fireb...1-thermometer/)
    - Fireboard fan drive cable (works with most fans, they say! https://www.fireboard.com/shop/fan-cable/)
    - Flame Boss Universal Fan kit (https://www.flameboss.com/Flame-Boss...-with-Manifold)

Any thoughts on whether or not it's worthwhile to do this or if it won't actually work at all?

Thanks!

That should work, but you might want to check out the fan and adapter at BBQ Guru. It's $4 more, but a little less obtrusive looking:

If you decide to go that way, check to see if the adapter comes with the kill plug.

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
      That should work, but you might want to check out the fan and adapter at BBQ Guru. It's $4 more, but a little less obtrusive looking:

If you decide to go that way, check to see if the adapter comes with the kill plug.
      This is great advice! So this one seems to be their adapter for kettles (https://www.bbqguru.com/storenav?Cat...=2&ProductId=6) and it does come with a kill plug. So I would pair that adapter to one of their fans.

Questions for you if you don't mind:

- What is kill plug?
      - If I'm understanding correctly, it either attaches to bottom vent OR thru a hole I drill?

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        The kill plug fits in the open end of the adapter to prevent fresh air from entering via the adapter once the cook is over.

• Jon Solberg
        Jon Solberg commented
        Editing a comment
        fwiw I never use the kill plug in my Guru adaptied cookers. Or any type of kill on the Flame Boss cookers. I don't have ill effect when running them natural aspirated.
        Last edited by Jon Solberg; April 5, 2018, 06:55 PM.

I just bought the Fireboard, the fan control cable and the BBQ Guru fan. They work perfectly together. On my second cook on my WSM I maintained 250* +- 5* for 6 hours smoking some ribs. The fan has a small cylindrical adapter which connects through one of the existing holes of your bottom vent. They give you aluminum tape to tape off the other two. You shut all other supply vents and the fan through the Fireboard controls the amount of air the fire needs. I keep my top vent cracked open just to allow circulation. It's really a pretty remarkable setup. No drilling needed, just a screw driver, then plug and play. Buy this setup, you won't be disappointed!!

The silicon kill plug is just a plug for the adapter to close off the vent hole when you disconnect your fan, that's all.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        The adapter will require drilling a hole. It does not fit the kettle - it may well fit the WSM though.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I stand corrected, but I thought the vent setup on the kettle was basically the same? I threw away my little instruction sheet but sure it said either or. Hmmmmm

I have the FireBoard and the Flame Boss both all excellent tools in the bbq world.

Comment

RonB is correct, I found the instruction sheet on line. You need to drill a 1" hole in the kettle bottom ..... still worth the effort with a pilot hole and step drill bit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mounting_to_Weber_or_Similar_Charcoal_Grill.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	477979

Comment

If you go with the Guru fan and adapter, you want to locate the hole below the charcoal grate and in the area that the ash sweep doesn't cover. That area is large enough for you to mount the deflector without interfering with the sweep.

Comment

Comment

Thanks, everyone! This was really really helpful.

Comment

I took the advice given here and purchased the fireboard and the bbq guru pit viper fan with weber adapter. very excited for that stuff to arrive.

New question for the group: do probes for the thermoworks smoke work with the fireboard?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here