Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for ‘off the grid’ thermometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations for ‘off the grid’ thermometer

Out at our trailer, I am LOVIN the PBC I got last year. I have a Maverick and usually use one probe for cooker temp and one for the meat.

I would love to have the ability to graph temps as I see people post here (I’m a data nut). The problem is that units like the Fireboard seem to need an internet connection to do this. WiFi is not available at the trailer, so that’s not an option for me.

i wouldn’t mind having to plug the laptop in to download the data.

Anyone have any ideas for something that would meet these needs? If there’s nothing, I may have to design it myself....

can you create a wifi hotspot with one of your phones?

Comment

Originally posted by smokenoob View Post
      can you create a wifi hotspot with one of your phones?
      Cell reception is spotty. Voice works most of the time but data is iffy at best.

Comment

If it's strictly WiFi, an ad-hoc hotspot should work from a phone.

Maybe look into getting a cheap router to create WiFi you can plug into? Easily had for $50 or so...

Comment

Your other option to collect data with a smart device is via Bluetooth. Consider the ThermoWorks ThermaQ Blue as the Cadillac. Other possibilities are the units from iDevices. Cappec has a wireless Bluetooth product. Maverick's ET-735, Morpilot's Smart BBQ Meter Pro, and the InkBird IBT-4XS also feature connections via Bluetooth. You'll have to check out each review to see if the data collection and plotting features meet your needs, but you'll find something, I'm sure. In most cases, you can export the data to Excel and manipulate it from there.

Comment

I believe Fireboard does utilize Bluetooth to talk to your smartphone, from their website....

The FireBoard utilizes a Bluetooth 4.0 (Bluetooth Low Energy) Profile to communicate between the mobile app and the FireBoard. With a BLE connection, the pairing process where you entered a passcode is not needed anymore. The mobile app should automatically scan and find FireBoard devices via BLE. If you run into issues with discovering devices, in the worst case, you can force close the app, turn your Bluetooth on/off (e.g. airplane mode) and the try to connect again.

Comment

Fireboard has a FAQ indicating that the Fireboard will use bluetooth to communicate the temperature to your mobile device in the event Wifi is not available. What is not clear is whether any graphing and data logging functions are available in that scenario. I almost thing they will not be, as the data logging is likely in the cloud. However - I will bet if you ask them a question via email, you will get an answer one way or the other.

The Thermoworks Smoke Gateway is a no-go as it is for sure cloud-only.

Comment

Nope, wrong on the Fireboard. The sending unit is set up for duel purpose, it simultaneously sends the data to both you phone or tablet and their cloud. That of course occurs during a wifi connection. If the connection fails, it still send the data to your phone via Bluetooth. The app then interprets and logs the data and presents the data as either hard numbers or graphs. The graphing and logging aren't a function of the cloud, only storage of the raw data.

That and the fact that it controls a variety of fan units makes this, at least for now, the ultimate thermo control device on the planet. I would seriously consider buying one if you don't already own one.

Comment

• phoccer
                  phoccer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So does it relay through your phone to the cloud if the initial connection from Fireboard to phone is Bluetooth and there's no wifi available? Otherwise your data would be stuck on your phone unless you manually upload it. They must upload through the phone as well.

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes it uploads to the cloud once a connection is made. Seems they have really thought of everything.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                  DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's phenomenal! I sooooo want the Fireboard. I am so close to just pulling the trigger.

maybe you could hook one of these up to your cooker?
                Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	474763

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here