Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermometer Died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermometer Died

My instant digital read thermometer died last night. Not paying attention I left it too close to the grill and the plastic melted. So now I'm in search of a new one. I was thinking of an upgrade to one where I could also get the temp of the grill rather than use the built in Weber one. I was thinking either the Maverick ET-732/733 or the Thermoworks Smoke. I'm a newbie and just learning to grill (just bought Weber charcoal, have Weber gas grill at the cottage). Is the Smoke worth the extra $40? Is there another option I should look at?

This is a great question. Many people want the answer. First, we need to know a few things:
    What is your budget?
    What do you want to monitor? Hint - you need to monitor meat temp and cooker temp to get great and repeatable results.
    What type of thermometer do you want? Another hint - you want a digital thermometer because they are more accurate.
    How many probes do you need in addition to the two must have? (Are you likely to be cooking several pieces of meat at the same time?)
    Would you like to control the temp in your cooker as well as monitoring it? There are units out there that add a fan to control airflow, and that helps control temps.

And the dome thermometer is probably not accurate, and even if it is, it's too high in the cooker to give an accurate reading at the cooking surface.

Below are two links. The first is about thermometers and will help you answer the above questions.

https://amazingribs.com/ratings-revi...-they-work-how

The second is a link to the on site thermometer reviews.

https://amazingribs.com/ratings-revi...od-and-cooking

Almost forgot that you will also need an instant read thermo at some point - the sooner the better.
    Last edited by RonB; March 27, 2018, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I lived for a couple of decades without an "in pit" thermometer, using just a Tel-Tru analog in the dome. It was off because of its placement, but we survived (for a decade or so). It was a pleasure getting an earlier Thermaworks pit model for the pit and the meat. But the one that really made a difference was the instant read, and the Thermapen is the best!

As RonB says it is all about budget. I just spent time discussing the options with a friend in town who just picked up a use Weber Performer Deluxe (2010) in mint condition for FREE. He has been asking me all sorts of questions for the past 24 hours via Facebook Messenger, and I've given him different options.

You really need TWO types of thermometer:

1. Instant Read (most important) - on a budget I would get a Thermoworks Thermopop or RT600C, both in the $20-25 price range. If you can afford it get a Thermapen Classic or Thermapen MK4.

2. Leave in with air and meat probes. This is where the Maverick or Smoke are both good options. I have the Smoke, and its great, but if I had absolutely no budgetary concerns, I would get the Fireboard. If Wifi is not a concern, stick with the Maverick or Smoke. If you want wifi and app features, get the Fireboard. The Fireboard probes are also waterproof - neither the Maverick or Smoke probes are.

The reason you need an instant read is to check the temp of meat that is not suitable for use with a leave in thermometer (steaks, chicken, burgers, etc). The leave in is good to put in the thickest part of the meat for something you are cooking low and slow for hours, but not so much for quicker direct heat cooks.

Comment

I too have a Thermapen which is a must IMO. This year for Christmas I got a Smoke and I like that a lot too. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your decision.

Comment

I think I do have another instant read thermometer, it's just not too quick. Budget, I'd prefer to spend $100 or less. Goal is to monitor the grill temp and the meat temp. I have other stuff that would work right now for the meat but nothing for the grill. Other than steaks and burgers and the likes I would only be cooking one piece of meat, so I would think only the two probes. And not planning on controlling any fans. And I am definitely planning on getting a replacement instant read as well.

Comment

I have been using the Smoke for about a year. It has worked very well for me to monitor both air temp in the smoker as well as the meat I am cooking. Like you, I typically am only cooking 1 piece of meat when cooking low ans slow. My instant read is a cheapo that appears to be accurate and is still serving me well.

Comment

I just got a Maverick ET-732 but haven't had a chance to use it yet. According to the AR review it is good and also affordable. Of course it is not an "instant read" thermometer. For that I've been using a Weber digital. Don't know the model # but it's served me pretty well for many years. I think I paid $12.95 for it at Home Despot and I think I have had to replace the battery twice. It takes maybe 5-6 seconds to get a reading - not great but it's worked for me. After finding this site I got curious about its accuracy. I have only checked it against the meat probe on my GMG and boiling water which at my altitude is 203F. It was almost dead on in the boiling water and within 1.5 degrees ( at 170F) in the same meat/place in the meat as the GMG probe. I've got a hunk of corned beef in the fridge right now which I hope will turn into Mr. Meatheads Katz pastrami in a few days. I should be able to get a good idea of how everything compares by the time I get that done.

Comment

For less that $100, you can get that Maverick and a Thermopop. Most here consider Theromworks instant reads the gold standard.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                I was going to add the exact same thing, until I seen it here. Great advice

My personal opinion is that while the Smoke is an excellent thermometer and very easy to use, I don't personally feel it's worth $40 extra. I tend to think that the Maverick is the better deal. A lot of folks complain that the Maverick is harder to pair, and harder to cycle through the alarm settings, and while that may be true I don't think it's $40 harder to do those things. Just simply my opinion.

Comment

I have the Smoke and Thermapen. Both work great! The Thermoworks service is excellent! I don't know either way on Maverick.

Comment

I’m not going to be nosey....you should definitely get the Smoke.

Comment

If you decide to get the Smoke, their needle probe is waterproof and reads in 3-5 seconds so it can work as an instant read and be a backup probe.

Comment

Ended up getting the Maverick ET-732 and the Thermopop. Now I just have to wait for them to come in. Thanks for the help everyone!

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                        DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Awesomesauce! I've got 2 Maverick ET-732s and also a Maverick Redi-Chek instant-read, which was much cheaper than a Thermapen, slightly less than a Thermopop. It works well, reads in 3-4 seconds. I like it a lot. I think those two (732 and Redi-Chek) are the best budget combo out there. A Themopop is only a few bucks more, though.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here