Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments on "Meater"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comments on "Meater"

A lot of people ask what I think of the "Meater" thermometer. Not much. Here's why I cannot recommend it. https://amazingribs.com/thermometers/meater

Seems to be inline with everyone’s sentiments here on the Pit. Glad you’re warning everyone!

Comment

I'm glad I didn't invested any money on it 2 years ago. For those that did....Cheers!

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        You're definitely very frugal with your thermometer purchases

Well Said❗️ I am Glad I Passed in Favor of FireBoard❗️ They have met or exceeded Every Commitment
      Since Day One‼️ Dan

Comment

Thank you for posting a warning for everyone. Unfortunately I also ordered probes & the block over 2 years ago to no avail. The experience has easily been my most frustrating & disappointing since I seriously took up BBQ.

Comment

I am using the Meater and the good comments are this: 1. It's an accurate thermometer, 2. It's nice to know the ambient temperature around your meat while cooking, and 3. The app does a good job calculating how long it's going to take to reach your target temperature. The bad outweighs the good, but that is relative to my situation. I am using the Meater with the KBQ C60. In order for my Meater probe to stay connected during a cook, I have to lean my tablet against the door of the KBQ. Very disappointing at first and I didn't like the idea of an iPad exposed to the heat or weather. Additionally, what is the benefit of wireless if the "receiver" has to stay within 2-6 inches of the transmitter. Granted the KBQ is a stainless steel cookbox, but it's not that out of the ordinary. The BGE does not cause the same faraday cage effect, neither does a Weber gas grill or indoor oven. I was forced to buy an inexpensive Android tablet to act as a range extender to my iPad mini that then monitors the Meater app via my home wifi network. Signal strength is horrible and there is no tech or customer support. I'm a techie so I have been able to improvise and enjoy it.

Comment

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry to read this, lessteinberg , but kinda relieved that my finding is consistent! some solace, I guess. You can see my full review in thread, "Is anyone using a Meater?" I have had better luck being contacted by tech support, but no better end result.
            Last edited by richinlbrg; January 1, 2018, 07:12 PM.

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            Welcome to the Pit from NE Washington state. Along with tips, techniques, and recipes about BBQ we have a lot of fun. If you like music, go to this thread to hear what others are listening to and share what you like. For jokes, go to this thread. Happy to have you along and looking forward to your participation.

• kmhfive
            kmhfive commented
            Editing a comment
            Welcome to the Pit! Thanks for the review. Maybe one day, my meater block will come.

Wow, welcome lessteinberg! Never saw you comin! Glad yer eatin good & havin fun!

Comment

I keep forgetting I paid for a 4 probe unit. I'm definitely not expecting much range when inside the stickburner after reading the above comments. We'll see though when it comes, if and whenever that may be.

Comment

MEATER

After waiting close to two years, I finally got my single probe. The Packaging, probe and charger are beautiful. Sadly the device is worthless. I can’t get more than 8 feet away from my smoker without Bluetooth disconnecting. An email to the company resulted in a reply stating that this is a limitation of Bluetooth and a ridiculous list of tips to improve my range. Total nonsense! I have used multiple wireless Bluetooth probes in the past with 50 foot range, including igrill and Maverick devices.The only way I could use would be by leaving my iPhone or iPad in the backyard as a relay station to another device receiving wireless. Ridiculous and totally impractical. I cannot tell you how disappointed I am in this device. Do not buy one until they fix it.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                ComfortablyNumb commented
                Editing a comment
                Welcome to the Pit from NE Washington state. Along with tips, techniques, and recipes about BBQ we have a lot of fun. If you like music, go to this thread to hear what others are listening to and share what you like. For jokes, go to this thread. Happy to have you along and looking forward to your participation.

• kmhfive
                kmhfive commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice to meet you! Thanks for the review!

Bummer that Meater hasn't been able to deal with connectivity through metal. I wonder if there is some type of relatively-inexpensive antenna they could sell (give?!) to customers that would relay the signal from inside to outside (I'm assuming the issue is with the metal cage, and not the environment in the smoker itself). In any case, I really like my Fireboard. Like so many things, it seemed expensive when I bought it, but it has been totally worth it.

Comment

Wow! Double "where are these guys coming from"? Glad to have ya aboard, for like a long time. You also know what you just did to your chances on the monthly giveaway.

Comment

Welcome lessteinberg

Comment

Welcome NY Tuck

Comment

Its been soo long that I keep forgetting I ordered one until I get the "update" emails...

Comment

I bought mine a while ago... still waiting. Too late to get any money back.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here