Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wireless probe for rotisserie - does it exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless probe for rotisserie - does it exist?

After a near miss with the Xmas prime rib roast (Medium instead of medium rare) I am wondering how to continuously monitor the meat temp on the rotisserie of my Weber Summit E-470. Because of the rotation, a probe with a wire coming out of it does not serve the purpose. Is there such a thing as a thermometer with a wireless probe that can transmit to a nearby monitor unit? If not, please invent one and send me a prototype!

Any other rotisserie strategies I haven't thought of? I think the difference between the temp I wanted and the temp I got was 5-10 minutes.

Here it is.
    Remove the guesswork from cooking with MEATER, the smartest cooking thermometer for your BBQ and Kitchen.

Comment

Meater

Remove the guesswork from cooking with MEATER, the smartest cooking thermometer for your BBQ and Kitchen.

but from what I understand, they are fully funded on kickstarter, but they haven’t sent out the product yet to their initial funders 😬

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe they are shipping single probes now. Several people here have received them. They are Bluetooth with limited range, but should be good for use with a rotisserie. Maverick used to make one for rotisseries, but it's no longer available.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
        DogFaced PonySoldier commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm gonna reserve judgement regarding the range and connection for something intended to be inside a metal grill or oven. I'd be in for one of the set of 4 with wireless IF they ever get them out. Not putting money in yet, though.

• shush
        shush commented
        Editing a comment
        kenrobin -- I too am a backer, I also have nothing yet. But, if you read the fine print, "backing" a product is not the same as 'buying' a product. There is risk, and no guarantee of product for your money.

Seems like the common 3.5 mm jack in most digital thermometers could potentially rotate.

Comment

• horo
        horo commented
        Editing a comment
        Without wrapping the wire around the shaft of the rotisserie?

Yes. You would have to figure the details, but the idea would be something like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TOeHieH.png
Views:	4152
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	430360

The 3.55 mm jack would rotate inside your Maverick or other brand of thermometer. The wire and probe would be secured together ridgedly and rotate with the rotisserie.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Check out the engineering on the fly .... nicely done sir !!!

It’s two connections. Seems like a slip ring set up would work. Would have to be custom though.

Comment

If not, there should be. it seems like it would be sooooo easy to make.

Comment

The meater promises wireless, but I have seen a rotisserie thermometer. But, since I didn’t have a rotisserie, I didn’t save the link. I’ll take a quick look.

Comment

Had Maverick's rotisserie unit. It died on me just before a cook. Had to improvise. On your spit should be an adjustable collar that can slide clear off the spit. You'll see one in kmhfive's link to the rotisserie unit). The hole in this collar is round, the spit (mine anyway) is square. I just slip the thermo wire through the collar, re-install the collar onto the spit making sure the wire passes through on one of the straight sides of the spit and not pegged by the tightening screw. I have a couple of 732's so, I attached the xmitter unit to the wooden handle, securely. Attached pictures will give you a better idea of the jury rig. It worked. Ya do what you gotta do, until someone invents the better tool for the job.

Name:	20171207_122126 (2).jpg
Views:	4113
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	430516

Name:	20171207_122054.jpg
Views:	4156
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	430517
          Velcro strips looped around the wooden handle and the metal stand piece on the xmitter. Got the job done. I'll keep doing this until something better comes along. Maybe we can get the guys and gals over at Fireboard to come up with something. Hint, Hint.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            unfortunately my spit is completely contained inside the pit on one side and attached to the motor on the other. hmmm time to do some whisky thinkin....

Well, looks like I'm going to take one for the rotisserie crowd. After digging into the Meater probe, it seems to be a "good" item to acquire. Just ordered one. Will post a review/comments in another thread when it arrives and I've got a rotisserie chicken as the test vehicle.

The impression of them not shipping doesn't appear to be the case, with single probes. They do have an offer of a 4 probe setup which is in pre-order status. For those interested, they do have a rather well developed site at Meater.com that you may find interesting. Going to have to do a lot of reading through their pages as this little beastie is similiar to the access capabilites for Fireboard in that they use Bluetooth and WiFi.

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in the company. The only interest I have is to improve my Qing abilities. I'm looking specifically at this unit as my rotisserie temperature measuring tool. Besides, I like messing around with gadgets (Lord knows I've bought a lot of them over the years), uh, I mean tools.

Happy New Year to one and all. May the New Year bring you greater success and joy than the previous year.

~Dave

Comment

If you can get the Meater to work, then it would be perfect. I can't leave the room without the Meater losing contact with my phone. I don't want a separate link devise set up at my grill all day to keep me connected. Fireboard don't need that. The Meater is a great idea. Maybe once the block get's released it will be cool. For now it is a cool desk ornimate.

Greg over at Ballistic BBQ channel has used his Meater a lot for rotisserie and when linked, it works perfectly, and would be very cool.

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              If you have an old smartphone laying around, you should be able to have it act as the link to convert the bluetooth signal to wifi and increase your range.

• lonnie mac
              lonnie mac commented
              Editing a comment
              Yea, that's what I was saying. Don't have one, and didn't wanna do it. If this thing had range, it would be really cool.

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              I think I have an old HTC ONE MAX laying around if I can find it. If you could put it to use, it is gladly yours. It is actually the size of a small tablet. PM me if you want me to start digging for it.

Thanks folks!

It appears the Maverick model is no longer for sale (as someone else mentioned above). I could not find a price or a "buy" button.

I'm not sure it would work with my setup anyway. I have a Weber E470 gas grill. My old Weber Performer rotisserie kit included a wood-handled spit, but the gas grill comes with a plain metal spit. It is square, with two round areas that lay in notches in the grill sides. One end is pointed and the other end is just square metal.

There is no "collar" position - just a U-shaped opening in the side of the grill where the spit goes.

Here is the best picture I could find: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/AQLma4MrtdM/maxresdefault.jpg The other end of the spit is identical, but without the point. There is no "handle" other than the spit itself to attach anything to.

The Meater would be perfect if it ships-and-then-works as advertised. I am going to take a look at their website and consider whether to take a chance on a single-probe setup since those seem to be shipping.

Comment

As RonB suggested above, the meater works really well if you can set up a link from one device at your pit. Here is a vid that Greg at Ballistic BBQ did not long ago doing just that. This will overcome any connectivity issues till the meater block comes out. At least I think that's how it's gonna work.

Comment

• horo
                horo commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the video! Just what I am looking for. I ordered a single-probe meater. We shall see what happens.

They need a better name for that... "Meater." Meh.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                Jon Solberg commented
                Editing a comment
                Sounds like they need a better product as well.

I've received a shipping notice for my Meater. Will report how it works for me.

Comment

• NWDave
                NWDave commented
                Editing a comment
                Mine just shipped as well. Problem is the shipping. I hate Surepost. The race is on to see who gets theirs first. It's going to be interesting, working out the connectivity problem.
                First things first.

• Dr ROK
                Dr ROK commented
                Editing a comment
                So jealous of you guys. I ordered the block, so looks like I'll be waiting for several months yet.

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                you mean pony express?

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here