Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Total Newbie- Would Love Recommendations on Thermometers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was hoping Santa would bring me the Fireboard today, but apparently my "hints" must have come along too late in the gift-buying process.

Looks like I will be buying one next month out of my personal "play money." lol

Well... if I can ever stop buying out of the sale section at Palmetto State Armory, anyways!

Comment

A few things for you to consider, as a former owner of a 640 and also an owner of the Fireboard Extreme (6 probes) and 2 Mavericks 732.

I bought the 640 vs the 480 because there was little price difference and because I could afford to do so - not because the 640 is better or because I needed the extra space. Buy what you are comfortable and meets you needs. A 480 is more than enough for backyard cooks - especially for only two folks. Now if you had an family of 8 that would be a different story. Also, I think 200 dollars would be better spent on the two piece diffuser (for ease of cleaning) rather than more size. This is from someone who loved the 640 but also bought the two piece diffuser.

All pellet smokers are different based on their design. I would expect the 480 and 640 to be very similar. The firepot is on the left and the chimney on the right. As a result, it is hottest on the left side of the bottom shelf near the firepot. It is also hottest on the right side of the top shelf where the heat exits the chimney. Not a great deal, maybe 20 degrees different from what your smoker is set. Manageable in day to day smoking. You just need to learn the characteristics of your smoker and place your meat accordingly.

I usually ran the 640 with a Maverick with two probes. One in the meat and one as a temp prob. The smoker was on the patio right outside our bedroom so the range was fine for overnight smokes. I did lose a signal occasionally during daytime smokes when I move with the receiver to the front of the house.

I have no experience with the Smoke. But I am in love with the Fireboard. Love the wifi range and also ability to monitor from my phone. I could easily run a 480/640 with a Maverick. But if I could afford it, the Fireboard is a much better choice. Could easily see myself cooking a couple of butts using 4 probes (2 meat, 2 temp) or a couple of briskets with 6 probes (2 in points, 2 in flats, 2 temp). I currently have a Backwoods Chubby and have used the 6 probes for such a situation.

Based on all your comments on this thread and the one about pellet smokers, I think the best fit for you is the 480 with two probe ports, a two piece diffuser, and a Fireboard Extreme (6 probes). Buy a small shop vac from Lowes/Home Depot for $39 to use to sweep out the ashes.

Comment

I think I'm still a bit confused about the diffuser. When I go to atbbq.com and look at their video on the diffuser, it seems like it's mostly used for high heat temps. Is that true?

If my plan is only to go low and slow with the smoker, does it really make that much sense to get the diffuser? Does it make it that much easier for cleaning purposes having the diffuser?

Comment

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          The diffuser with the door makes it a snap to clean the firebox, and you will want to clean it often. Otherwise you need to remove the grill grates, and then the entire diffuser to clean the firebox. Not a hard thing to do, but the door makes it much easier.

• jlazar
          jlazar commented
          Editing a comment
          DonW hit it on the head. The two piece diffuser is used with grill grates at high temps for grilling. But the main advantage of the two piece diffuser is ease of access for cleaning. I could clean the 640 in 5 minutes with the two piece diffuser barely getting my hands dirty. A different story if you have to remove the lower grate and the diffuser (and have a place to set them while cleaning).

• jlazar
          jlazar commented
          Editing a comment
          Cleaning a 480/640 is easy. Sweep out the firebox and the main area after each cook. Every 8-10 cooks, remove the grates and diffuser to sweep a little better and possibly scrape any buildup with a plastic putty knife.

Now that MCS is settling in, there is on piece of advice you need to heed (need to heed, like the sound of that). Go back and look at DWCowles post #2, and Buy them ALL, git ALL of em, yeah, that’s the ticket!

Comment

I say stick with the smaller smoker since it's you and the wife for most of your cooks. I've got the smaller Traeger Pro 22 and have no regrets vs. the larger unit. As for thermometers, go with the Fireboard so you can have remote access without having to fuss with a separate gateway, plus the the extra probes are an option if needed. The recommendation of the MK4 is mandatory equipment. Good luck and let us know.

Comment

I just tried ordering my Yoder from www.atbbq.com. The problem is that I am going on vacation from Jan 10-18 so I was told by atbbq.com that the freight company charges an astronomical amount for storing your freight package (something like $100 a day) if you are not there to take delivery so I have to order it when I'm back from vacation.

Does anyone else have any recommendations of where to order the Yoder smoker besides www.atbbq.com?

Comment

I used atbbq.com. Where are you located? You can go to the Yoder website and put in your address to find out if there is a dealer near you. If nothing near, any dealer will be using a freight company and you will need to be at home.

When ordering the freight, be sure you get a truck with a drop tailgate. It costs about $50 extra but unless you have 5-6 guys handy for off loading, it is the only way to get it off the truck at a residence. My driver got in on the ground and then, using a small lift, wheeled it into the garage for me.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Excellent advice for any industrial grade equipment! ;-)

There is only one place by me (Denver, CO) and they won't have any of the 480's for another month or so.

Comment

See this is why Amazon is taking over the world. They are making it too hard for you EZCUSE ! Maybe you should just take a long deep breath through your nose and exhale slowly out of your mouth and order it when you get back. I know. I know. It's hard and I couldn't do it. But I can easily suggest you do.

Comment

• EZCUSE
                  EZCUSE commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Man I wish they sold Yoder’s on Prime. I would have it in two-days and gauenteed cheaper. Gotta go grab my inhaler.

I just got the 480. It has enough room for all I do with its 2 levels of grates. I use a Thermopen, but the lid seals so well, I was told it's not advisable to bring a wire out under the lid. Yoder can drill a hole for the probe instead.

Comment

• Mudkat
                  Mudkat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sweet! Any pics?

• jlazar
                  jlazar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Recommend you get two probe ports.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here